Pet breeding information and rules

Breedings are open until June 13, 1pm PDT!
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Pet breeding information and rules

Post by Sushidragon »

Hooray, pet breeding! It's easy enough, and here's the basic information:
  • Only major pet species can breed.
  • Each person can apply once per breeding round. A pet can be applied with more than once, but can only be successful once.
  • Pets don't have to part of a breeding group or have a mate to participate in the breeding season. In fact, a pet can try to breed with a wild member of their species!
  • There are no items required to breed pets - just luck, and at least one pet.
  • You're welcome to apply for a breeding using someone else's pet if you have their permission. If anyone is found to be using other people's pets without permission, any pets bred without the owner's permission will be repossessed.
  • Modiems and other Samanayr breeding items can't be used on pet breedings.
Species Restrictions
There are some restrictions about which species can breed with each other.
  • Dragonets - Any dragonet species can breed with any other dragonet species (eg Kreenasa x Wild), and with Mage Constructs.
  • Mage Constructs - Can breed with any other major species. Any resulting offspring will be considered a Construct.
  • All other species - Can only breed with other members of their species or with Mage Constructs.
If applying for a breeding with one wild parent, its species will be the same as the other parent.
Offspring and Success
A successful breeding will result in anywhere from one to three offspring, with one or two being the most common. Whoever applied for the breeding is the one who decides what to do with the resulting offspring - they can be kept, gifted, traded (the usual trading rules apply), or given to Sushidragon to be given away in events or games.
  • Applying for a breeding with two owned pets gives the greatest chance of success at 40%.
  • Applying for a breeding with an owned pet and a wild pet has a 30% success rate.
  • Mage Constructs don't fall under the typical success rates - the rate of success for a breeding with a Mage Construct varies, anything from 10% to 50%. The success rate itself will be randomly determined each time, so won't be the same for the same pet each time it breeds.
Application
When pet breedings are open, to apply for a breeding just post the form below on this board. If applying for a breeding with a wild pet, just put 'wild' for the wild parent's info.

Username:
Mother's name:
Mother's ID:
Mother's species:
Father's name:
Father's ID:
Father's species:
Do you have all applicable permissions?
Image Image

Current icon by Plaguedog
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer
Favorite Sam species: Butterfly Sams

Re: Pet breeding information and rules

Post by RikkuGirl »

Ok... just so i can get this right...

If a male Dragonett breeds with two different females, only one of the babies is possible? :/ Even though there are two separate mothers?

Or is it that they can only breed once.. male or female?

I kinda thought the males could breed with as many females that are out there... kinda like how sam stallions can breed with multiples in their song....
My Sams!

Im a Chicken... Moooooo! D:
Origami_Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Favorite Sam species: You mean I have to choose?

Post by Origami_Dragon »

I asked pretty much the same question on PI, about if a male could only successfully sire a single litter.
Ori wrote:Even though I already applied...I do have one question. The rules say that a pet may only be successful once. So does this mean that a male can't have babies with more than one female in a season then? Just want to confirm if males can only sire one litter. Thanks!
This was Sushi's answer:
Sushidragon wrote:Yep, that's what it means. The male-female population of all of the species is split pretty evenly, and since you can also apply for a breeding even if you only have a pet of one gender I figured the odds were pretty good that all the pets who wanted to find a partner would be able to

That's not to say you can't apply with the same pet more than once, but like with Samanayr breedings with the same mare, if the pet is successful in one breeding it won't be successful in subsequent breedings for this round.
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer
Favorite Sam species: Butterfly Sams

Post by RikkuGirl »

Hmm... Ok ^_^ Thanks a bunch Origami! :D
My Sams!

Im a Chicken... Moooooo! D:
Esperanza
Mystic
Mystic
Favorite Sam species: Deserts & Illiayrs

Post by Esperanza »

Can we breed pets that haven't been equipped? Also, where can we look to find another pet to actually breed with?
Tasmen
Mystic
Mystic

Post by Tasmen »

Edit: Man i always do that XD
Last edited by Tasmen on Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Post by Sushidragon »

@Esperanza - Yep, pets don't need to be equipped to breed!

You can look through the inventory list (http://samanayrs.net/displayInventory.php) or try making a post on the Personals board. Or you can just apply for a wild pet breeding!

@Tasmen - Looks good, but please make a new post with your application :D
Image Image

LvSoulFriend
Song Wrangler
Song Wrangler
Favorite Sam species: Mystic

Post by LvSoulFriend »

Can we apply for a completely wild breeding? And just specify a species? Or is that not possible?
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Post by Sushidragon »

I edited the breeding success rate info with an update for Mage Constructs, since it was unclear XD A breeding that involves at least one Construct will have the varied success rate rather than the standard 30-40% rate for other species. I've also changed the Construct success rate to 10-50% so there will always be a chance of success!

@LvSoulFriend - Unfortunately not, at least one of the pets involved needs to be owned :D
Image Image

ElvenArcher
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: All of them

Post by ElvenArcher »

Edit*
Nevermind :D
Stallions
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Mares
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
Pets
ImageImageImageImage
Bluestarwolf12
Blue of the Howling Stars
Blue of the Howling Stars
Favorite Sam species: Sa'Grisayr

Post by Bluestarwolf12 »

Question! Can the rideable pet owned by a Rider be bred as normal, or would it depend on the species? (I know I definitely don't own one, but would the giant birds be breedable either with each other of Mage Constructs? :O )
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Post by Sushidragon »

Bluestarwolf12 wrote:Question! Can the rideable pet owned by a Rider be bred as normal, or would it depend on the species? (I know I definitely don't own one, but would the giant birds be breedable either with each other of Mage Constructs? :O )
It depends on the species! I'd say that Great Raptors and Oquiesas would also be able to breed with Mage Constructs of similar size, like the cat one owned by CosmicDragon.

And sorry for the delay in answering, I didn't see this post until now XD;
Image Image