Choose Your Own Adventure: Maven

Contests, games, draws, and other ways to get Sams! Also custom availability.
Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey
Favorite Sam species: Kodyla

Post by Jennalyn »

--------------------------------------
Welcome to a new event! This is patterned after a "Choose Your Own Adventure" tale following four Sa'grisayr half-sisters leaving their birth Song and striking out on their own. Here's how to play:

- I post a snippet continuing the Sam's story.

- Members will reply with a possible adventure path. This should be anywhere from a couple sentences to a small paragraph in length and contain some sort of 'choice' and story hook. If applicable, it should be based on the story thus far. Vague or specific is fine. For example:
"While flying over the grassy steppe, Wayfarer spied an odd splash of color. She swooped in closer and caught a glimpse of feathers before the shape suddenly moved!"

- I will choose a path to go down, first by whichever seems most likely for the Sam's personality and then by coin flip if there's a tie. Each of the girls in question is her own lady!

- There could be two hours or two days between my replies. It's entirely variable. This event should run for anywhere from one to three weeks depending on how much fun we're having with it or how quickly the adventure seems to wrap up. Replies probably won't be more than a paragraph or two.

- There will be maybe 10-15 replies back-and-forth before the event concludes. At the end, the person with the most chosen adventure paths will take home the prize - our heroine! The fully colored and certed image will be revealed at that time.
--------------------------------------------------------

Four journeys for four very different sisters.

The Song of the Lonely Aerie hadn't matched its name for years. Lead stallion Silver found companionship with a full complement of mares in his windy home and then with a sudden, unexpectedly successful breeding season resulting in four broody mares and one very busy sire.

After Wayfarer left to seek her fortune, Maven of the Pearly Heights felt her sister's loss most keenly. She'd always been the one to chase after her siblings, making sure they all stayed together and got home before dark when they started to go out on their own for longer periods. Without Wayfarer around to goad them all to action, her days felt surprisingly flat and listless.

That wouldn't do. Maybe... it was time for her to go too? Her mother agreed, reluctantly, when she brought up the subject, and her aunts helped her prepare for the journey ahead. With an only slightly tearful farewell, her giant wings carried her through the mountains in search of a well-known pass through the sharp peaks.
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Favorite Sam species: Sa'grisayr

Re: Choose Your Own Adventure: Maven

Post by silvermoondragon »

On her way to the pass, Maven's thoughts filled with anticipation. What would she find beyond those peaks? And who? Her thoughts were derailed as she looked downwards and noticed a flock of small fluffy sheep-like creatures wandering about in a somewhat chaotic manner. They looked a little lost, maybe she should go down and see if they needed any help...
Codress
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Any with wings! ^_^

Post by Codress »

On her way to the pass out of no where she heard some rocks falling in the distance. She thought nothing of it at first but then it sounded louder and louder and relized it was right behind her and comming her way faster and faster. With her giant wings she did some big flaps to fly higher up and out of the path she was in but saw shadows on top that she noticed to be knocking the rocks down. Who where or what are the shadows and why knocking off the rocks in her direction? Was she in someones territory?
Janalee
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Healer

Post by Janalee »

Stifling a small sniffle, Maven smiled nostalgically at the familiar mountain pass- who knew when she would see it again! There was the bush with the lovely red berries, and there the lone tree that made such a good finish line for racing- ha, and the little overhang with the niches in its stone face, where she and her sisters had hidden all the tiny trinkets that caught their eyes! The mare rather doubted that any of those trinkets remained any more- but it wouldn't hurt to check them one last time either, would it?
Seren
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: ...THEM ALL <3 I'm horrible at choosing~

Post by Seren »

The mountains peaks looming around Maven seemed like giant rugged faces peering down at her. Maven navigated the shifting currents of air with the grace of the eagles that sometimes soared through the mountain range. Clicking her beak, she saw a smaller bird struggling against a sudden updraft, flapping furiously, all alone. Reminded of her sisters, a bit of compassion swelled in her heart for the tiny bird, and she banked towards it.
Signature under construction!
Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey

Post by Jennalyn »

(Had to flip a coin because two entries fit really well off the bat.)
Janalee wrote:Stifling a small sniffle, Maven smiled nostalgically at the familiar mountain pass- who knew when she would see it again! There was the bush with the lovely red berries, and there the lone tree that made such a good finish line for racing- ha, and the little overhang with the niches in its stone face, where she and her sisters had hidden all the tiny trinkets that caught their eyes! The mare rather doubted that any of those trinkets remained any more- but it wouldn't hurt to check them one last time either, would it?
Wayfarer's stash had always been the easiest to spot because she never took her time with the hiding, but Maven and the other two squirreled their shiny prizes away where "no one could ever find them" - the naivete of foalhood. This pass was well-traveled.

She clung to an outcropping of stone near her favored hiding place and shifted a clump of stubborn weeds out of the way to reveal-

An empty crevice. No great surprise, and she couldn't decide whether to frown or smile that she'd half-believed her lovely stones would remain after all the months since they'd last visited.

A spray of dirt and gravel suddenly showered her from above and she let out an alarmed squawk, quickly pushing away from the small cliff and flapping hard to gain lift. A beaky, fuzzy head watched her intently from a perch near the top of the outcropping. Tiny feline ears swiveled, one following her and one canted above, where a voice called out, "Meyrro."
Codress
Mystery
Mystery

Post by Codress »

"Meyrro!" "Meyrroo!" She looked around and saw the two and took a breath.
"Breaths in and out in a big sigh of releif." What are you two doing here? Are you lost? She went to the little one just above her and again "Meyro." She looked a little closer and noticed it was caught by two rocks. Maven tried to get closer to help the little one and the other started to go at her. So she backed away. How can I help this little one if I can't get close to it?

[*I hope i'm doing ok on these? Still trying to get the hang of RP kind of stuffs!* lol]
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer
Favorite Sam species: Butterfly Sams

Post by RikkuGirl »

Maven flapped hard to gain lift, her eyes shut from the dirt. She wiped the dirt out with her claws and gained a clear look of who gave her an earth shower. It was a small pet, giggling as it caused her to relinquish her search for a minute. The small creature seemed to know something. "Did you take my tyreasuyre?" she asked, trying to get close to get a clearer look. Still blurred, her eyes still tried to focus as her wings struggled to keep her air borne. Who knew you needed your eyes so much to fly up!?
My Sams!

Im a Chicken... Moooooo! D:
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Favorite Sam species: Sa'grisayr

Post by silvermoondragon »

"It's you! You'yre still heyre!" Maven squealed with joy as she recognized the little catgryph on the ledge above. Many games of chase had occurred here, most starting with Wayfarer assuring that today was the day she'd manage to catch the little gryph and take him home. Games that always ended in the sisters lying exhausted in the sun and the catgryph sitting smug, licking his fur in satisfaction. "Meyrro" he said with what seemed to be a nod of his head before he disappeared around a rocky corner. It was starting to get late, but how could she resist one last game?
Seren
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: ...THEM ALL <3 I'm horrible at choosing~

Post by Seren »

The wide-eyed catgryph peered at her with glowing eyes, clasping something in its talons. He clicked his beak- for there was something masculine about the catgryph's form- and pricking his ears both towards Maven. He then pushed off, fluttering above the outcropping with all the grace of his land-bound cousins. His tail lashed as he clasped tighter at the object in his talons, sticking a little tongue out at her, his pupils slits from the light.
Signature under construction!
Janalee
Mystery
Mystery

Post by Janalee »

If the appearance of the catgryph had been a shock, it was still nothing compared to the dry, chastising voice sounding above her. No doubt the tone was meant for the catgryph, who seemed to feel absolutely no remorse for having frightened her, but Maven couldn't help but feel that it somehow reflected on her and her harmlessly silly wish of visiting the places she'd haunted as a foal as well. Feeling a mixture of apprehension, guilt, and just a touch of anger at the intrusion, she turned swiftly to face the stranger- and the latter two emotions quickly flew away at the sight of a rather severe looking Elemental facing her. If only she'd just continued her initial flight of retreat! It seemed a bit too late for that now though, so all that was left was to...try conversation? In a loud, rushed voice that betrayed all of her nervousness, she politely said the first thing to come to mind: "Is this youyr catgyryph? May I pet him?" Ack, did she really just suggest spending more time with them?!
SilverDapples
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Deserts and Sa'Grisayrs!

Post by SilverDapples »

It was an unexpected surprise to see the Catgryph staring down at her - Meyrro? For that was the name the voice was calling and sounded to be getting closer and closer still. Perhaps if she spoke to the owner of that voice, maybe they could give her some information. Maybe the little Meyrro had taken her stones back to them... Either way it was worth a shot. "Hello?" She called out, shaking the remains of dirt from her head as she began to rise, already talking before any Samanayr came into view. "Excuse me but could I speak to you-?"
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey

Post by Jennalyn »

SilverDapples wrote:It was an unexpected surprise to see the Catgryph staring down at her - Meyrro? For that was the name the voice was calling and sounded to be getting closer and closer still. Perhaps if she spoke to the owner of that voice, maybe they could give her some information. Maybe the little Meyrro had taken her stones back to them... Either way it was worth a shot. "Hello?" She called out, shaking the remains of dirt from her head as she began to rise, already talking before any Samanayr came into view. "Excuse me but could I speak to you-?"
Startled dark eyes met Maven's curious gaze as she crested the ridge, the Sa'grisayr's powerful wings holding her heavy form steady midair with some effort. A face even fuzzier than the catgryph's broke into a small smile as the Northern - Lamanayr? - regarded her with a similar curiosity.

Their plumage mirrored one another at first glance, but where Maven's pert head-feathers were a natural outcropping, the stranger's appeared affixed to a round white head-covering.

Prancing behind her on the thin, flat ridge, a fuzzily winged foal had frozen in some alarm.

"Meyyro," the Northern called again, and the catgryph scrabbled up the last few feet of outcropping to return to the mare's side. "What have you found, Misteyr Tyrouble? Hello theyre."
Codress
Mystery
Mystery

Post by Codress »

Hello! "With a excited/curious tone." Does this little one belong to you? The Northern Lamanayr tilted her head and took a sort breath and was about to answer when the little catgryph started to act scared and back away from both of them. The Northern Lamanayr said, "Meyrro are you okay?"
Janalee
Mystery
Mystery

Post by Janalee »

A Nursemaid, here? How glamorous! Aw, and a foal! Maven smiled encouragingly at the little one, hoping that Meyyro had indeed stolen some of her trinkets to share with them, while answering the other mare. "Hello! Is this youyr foal?" She was tempted to follow up that question with a million others about when and where she had received her job training, and how she was enjoying it, and the like, just in case she wanted to follow the same path, when it occurred to her that they might need help, and everything else fled from her thoughts. "Ayre you looking foyr something?"
SilverDapples
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Deserts and Sa'Grisayrs!

Post by SilverDapples »

She continued to hover as she looked the mare over, a nursemaid, she thought at the sight of the foal behind her and the clothe she wore. "Hello!" She said quickly as she nearly forgot her manners, thoughts attempting to become lost in the memories of her siblings when they were as small as that foal, fuzzy as they were... "I'm looking foyr some stones that weyre heyre - they'yre... peyrsonal. Do you know wheyre they might be?"
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Jaes
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: northern tribal

Post by Jaes »

Maven lowered herself to the ground and tucked her wings back as she regarded the other sam. She couldn't help but smile at the foal as memories of her own siblings, young and exuberant, fluttered through her thoughts. "Hello!" Wayfarer

Maybe the little group had seen Wayfarer and could help her locate her sister. Or, Maven thought suddenly, maybe they needed her help instead. "What are you doing up here?" she asked, her head tilted inquisitively.
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer

Post by RikkuGirl »

Maven flapped her wings to keep her body in the air, her eyes falling on an almost doppelganger...nursemaid!? She squealed with internal delight as she touched down to the ground before the mare, bowing with manners. "Hello...I am Maven" She said simply, not knowing what to expect and certainly not wanting to scare the small foal any more than it already was. After her subtle introduction she stood tall once more, smiling sweetly to the maid. "I mean no harm... May I ask you something?" said Maven, leaning to the side a little to get a fuller look at the adorable foal.

((Hope this is still going on and I can enter >_> Forgot to do this))
My Sams!

Codress
Mystery
Mystery

Post by Codress »

(Lol, totally 4got about this one and i was really liken the story. Lol glad you found it again Rikku.)
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer

Post by RikkuGirl »

(( ^o^ Me too! I love these kinds of things! Hope Maven finds what she is looking for! xD ))
My Sams!

Bighorns
Mystic
Mystic

Post by Bighorns »

Interesting story so far.