May 4 - Forum`s back up!

Welcome to the forums! Please read the rules and announcements to get started.
Having trouble logging in? Please read!
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

May 4 - Forum`s back up!

Post by Sushidragon »

I did try to install a couple of things, but after destroying the forum not once but twice (thank goodness for backups) I`m going to give it a rest for the rest of the night XD;
Image Image

Current icon by Plaguedog
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Favorite Sam species: Sa'grisayr

Re: May 4 - Forum`s back up!

Post by silvermoondragon »

*pokes forum*

oooh, what kind of things were you trying?
Harroway
Painter
Favorite Sam species: Sibyls

Post by Harroway »

I can just imagine Sushi with a pitchfork and a torch, laying waste to the forums. XD

Sushidragon - Destroyer of Forums! *Sushirage!*
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Post by Sushidragon »

I was trying to add a few things - being able to see what topics were posted in most recently on the main index page (not just the username of the person posting), an announcement box on the main page, and an extra registration step to keep the spambots away. I did the first one just fine, but then the second one exploded into errors everywhere. I was really worried that I had managed to erase everything somehow, so I just uploaded my backups XD Ahhhhh! I`ll try again some other time.

@Harroway - Right now it`s Sushi crying in a corner after wasting two hours ;___;
Image Image

silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer

darn spambots anyway, I noticed a whole bunch of them have attacked the Glassgryphs forum... Poor Glassgryphs!

At least you had backups, that's always an important step that many people forget... well good luck next time you try!

EDIT: oh and by the way, if you need anyone to help test things, I would be more than willing to help!
Harroway
Painter

Post by Harroway »

Well that's no good. :( Best of luck next time you try! I'd offer to help but... I'm a coding moron. :(
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Post by Sushidragon »

@silvermoondragon - Yeah, I'm constantly getting spam registrations on both forums XD I think I'm just going to turn off registration for a while for both of them and hope that the spambots go away for a while. And thanks for the offer to help test things out, first I need to figure out how to install them properly XD

@Harroway - That's okay, when it comes to PHP and MySQL I'm a coding moron too XD I only know the most basic HTML.
Image Image

silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer

yah, same for me too, I wish I knew more about PHP and stuff. I wanted to take a programing course in university, but my degree said I should take the simple computer course, which at least was very easy and boosted my GPA. I got to learn some javascript though, that was the most challenging part of the course.
Calomel
Is edible

Post by Calomel »

Harroway wrote:I can just imagine Sushi with a pitchfork and a torch, laying waste to the forums. XD

And the dragon comes in the NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGHTTT!!!
Harroway
Painter

Post by Harroway »

Calomel wrote:
Harroway wrote:I can just imagine Sushi with a pitchfork and a torch, laying waste to the forums. XD

And the dragon comes in the NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGHTTT!!!
*dies of laughter* :lol: I loved that one!
Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey
Favorite Sam species: Kodyla

Post by Jennalyn »

Aww, Sushi, I feel you. The most frustrating part of an unsuccessful night of fiddling with code is the time wasted. *snugs*
silvermoondragon wrote:yah, same for me too, I wish I knew more about PHP and stuff. I wanted to take a programing course in university, but my degree said I should take the simple computer course, which at least was very easy and boosted my GPA. I got to learn some javascript though, that was the most challenging part of the course.
I was really glad when I figured out that my IS minor got me into a mandatory PHP/MySQL class. This past semester, even. xD So now I can code a basic database and get it to do things like add records, update them, delete them, and just display them. Still can't figure out session variables to save my life, but eh.

Also. Trogdor win. Our mailbox is named Trogdor in homage, it being... well, an actual dragon. xD Like one of those giant ones you buy in a cool catalog. My mom wanted it, since I got her into the dragon theme (we have a dragon skull sitting cheerfully on our back deck, surrounded by flowers). She hand-painted the mailbox, though, so it looks much cooler than the gray version.

http://s7d3.scene7.com/is/image/DesignT ... 75?$detail$
http://www.igofantasycollectibles.com/u ... 770878.jpg
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Post by Sushidragon »

@silvermoondragon - I'd love to take a programming course too, although I do know people who'd figured this kind of stuff out on their own.. go go "PHP and MySQL for Dummies" XD

@Calomel - Whooo Trogdor XD

@jennalyn - That sounds like a good course to take :D Right now I'm going to go chill out and watch some stuff - the forum can program itself >:[
Image Image

silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer

@ jennalyn - wow, that is an awesome mailbox!!!! and I did learn some database stuff as well, but it was just using Microsoft Access, and all the coding/SLQ stuff we got to see was the teacher going "here, this is the code which you don't have to learn, and this is how you go back to the non code version if you happen to accidentally get stuck here." Sigh...

@ sushidragon - hmmm *goes out to look for 'PHP and MySQL for Dummies' from the library*
Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey
Favorite Sam species: Kodyla

Post by Jennalyn »

@silvermoondragon: Those books are surprisingly helpful. I learned a lot more from my textbook than I did from my professor on the actual coding itself. My best advice is to make sure and conceptualize the program you're writing before you pull up your sleeves and start the actual coding. Some planning saves a lot of time and headache in the long run, which I had to learn the hard way. More than once. >__> *cough*

...you know. Now that I'm thinking about it. I kind of want to make a mini-database for my Sams and some PHP pages to help keep things organized. New layout, organization, and all that. It's a small enough project that it wouldn't kill me and boy is it tempting. Then, instead of coding a new Sam page, I could just go to a form and enter their information... and bam. Search for them and there they are. That's kinda-sorta-really tempting. A test to see if I actually learned anything. xD Hmmm.
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer

ooooh, that sounds fancy!!! I only have one samanayr right now so there wouldn't really be any point for me... My biggest problem is coming up with the plans and ideas, I either can't come up with an idea, or when I do, a few days later I don't like it anymore :(