Sam Sketches

Share your artistic endeavors here!
Echos
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Desert

Sam Sketches

Post by Echos »

These are a few sketches I started working for the guest artist application but as I never submitted it (maybe next time) I figured I'd share them here. I've learned I really need to work on anatomy. I have no idea where things go 99% of the time.

Lemur Sam!
Used the wrong pen to ink this one so the lines are way thicker than I wanted *grr*

Aquarius Concept
Haven't decided on leg placement yet so if anyone has ideas and/or wants to red line I am open to suggestions.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Favorite Sam species: Sa'grisayr

Re: Sam Sketches

Post by silvermoondragon »

Those are great! I always find the legs to be the hardest part too, especially the feet. Such a cute little lemur sam...
Janalee
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Healer

Post by Janalee »

I almost always look at reference pictures myself, particularly for the legs, so I can understand the need to work on anatomy... *grins a bit sheepishly* Looks like you're doing pretty well at it though! Was the Aquarius-theme Sam going to be Biped, or four legged?
Echos
Mystery
Mystery

Post by Echos »

I was planning to make it four legged with the back legs streched out like they'd just completed a stroke.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer
Favorite Sam species: Butterfly Sams

Post by RikkuGirl »

LOVE EM! :D I especially love the aboreal. :) Floofy tail! :D
My Sams!

Im a Chicken... Moooooo! D:
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Post by Sushidragon »

Aww, they look very Samanayr indeed :D Cute! I hope you'll be able to apply next time!

I have so much trouble placing legs on aquatic Sams when they're supposed to be swimming (well, or ones where they're flying) XD; I usually have to go through a few iterations before figuring out something that doesn't look completely bizarre, and even then..
Image Image

Current icon by Plaguedog
LvSoulFriend
Song Wrangler
Song Wrangler
Favorite Sam species: Mystic

Post by LvSoulFriend »

I'd almost do finned wyvern front legs for the Aquarius, and leave him/her as bipedal XD Whoosh!
Echos
Mystery
Mystery

Post by Echos »

@Rikku - Thank you! The tail is defiantly my favorite about him. He was just a concept I sketched up cause someday I want to get a ring-tailed lemur mimic since they are my favorite animal.

@sushi - Your comment just made my day. I spent ages looking at how you drew the details to make them look as samanayr-like as possible since my normal style doesn't lend itself to them very well. I'm so glad I succeeded. And it nice to hear that even with years of practice legs are hard to place. Makes me feel much better about how much trouble I was having XD

@Lvs - I was going to just go with normal fins but I think I like your idea much better. I'm going to play around with that a bit and see how it goes.

The Aquarius sam is actually a design I'd scrapped cause I made him based off a nudibranch than remembered we couldn't create new traits which his little head things (cerata) totally would be.
Echos
Mystery
Mystery

Post by Echos »

New sketch I did for the current design contest going on so its posted there are well. But I figured this was a better place to ask for help.

I've now spent about 6 hours trying to draw his back legs in correctly. I think I've gotten on placed sort of right but can't figure out where the 4th leg should be. Could anyone help with a quick redline? I've tried looking at refs but its driving me crazy.
LvSoulFriend
Song Wrangler
Song Wrangler
Favorite Sam species: Mystic

Post by LvSoulFriend »

Hmmm, only suggestion I have is to look at photos of cats jumping. Cause that's what the pose reminded me of XD Very cute tho!