Foxes?

Talk about anything you want here.
Seren
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: ...THEM ALL <3 I'm horrible at choosing~

Foxes?

Post by Seren »

Does anyone have experience with foxes and the like? Like maybe how to deter them/what's best to do? A fox came in and killed five of our eight laying chickens a few nights ago, and our whole family is really upset, since they were rather like pets, with names, and we hand-raised them. There were also my little sister's 4-H project and her means of income through selling the eggs they produced. We're probably going to get more in the early summer/late spring, but I'd like to know if anyone has experiences with them? So we can prepare, and keep the remaining three safe?

We haven't had an issue with any other predators before, this is the first instance. The fox took two and left the other three (dead) in the coop.
Signature under construction!
Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey
Favorite Sam species: Kodyla

Re: Foxes?

Post by Jennalyn »

Back when I lived on a farm, the foxes and raccoons were what eventually stopped us from raising chickens. :/ Every year it would turn into a nightmare. We had a tall fence that they'd either climb, burrow beneath, or coax the chickens to the edge of and grab their heads through the mesh. 'fraid I don't have any advice - they can be very difficult to deter.
Echos
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Desert

Post by Echos »

I've heard mixed reviews for coyote, wolf and dog urine. Apparently it can be very effective if the fox knows what the scent is as these 3 larger predators will usually kills foxes.

Obviously you need to pick the urine of the predator that the fox is most likely to have encountered. However is springtime the allure of chickens might be enough that the foxes will go for them anyways - spring is after all when they are having to gather the most food.

But honestly I think the most effective way to deter foxes is to get a large dog. Foxes will rarely fighter larger animals.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey
Favorite Sam species: Kodyla

Post by Jennalyn »

We never tried the urine, but we did own a Great Dane and a Shepherd/Husky at the time - they critters never cared about the dogs because they were indoors at night, which is when the attacks generally happened unfortunately.
Orasteele
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Misery

Post by Orasteele »

You need to dig down around your pen and bury the chicken wire in the trench and pour cement. It should keep them from digging in. Make sure that if your coop has wooden walls bare to the exteriror you dig around there and put cement as well. A good 10-12" deep trough should work. The pesky thing about them is that they will keep coming back unless you find a way to keep them out.
Seren
Mystery
Mystery

Post by Seren »

Thank you for the responses. I will say that the fox didn't actually break in, it was late afternoon, and my family got stuck in town, and they went out to shut the chickens in for the night and the fox had killed the five. (That's probably the only reason why we still have 3.) So, if it comes back, but finds the coop locked up, will that deter it? Or no?

We're putting them up earlier now.
Echos
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Desert

Post by Echos »

Maybe? Foxes are very, very good at finding any and every possible way into a food source.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Orasteele
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Misery

Post by Orasteele »

If it hasn't broken into the coop yet you may be lucky, but watch for digging around it.
Seren
Mystery
Mystery

Post by Seren »

Thanks guys. We're going to try buying coyote urine, since those are our main predators around here. May let our big dogs on a lead line walk around the shed some to sort of provide a scent and all. When I come back for spring break in two weeks we'll also revamp the coop.

We're a bit sad to lose most of our flock, but Tundra, Tesla, and Everest all laid today, so they aren't too traumatized at least.
Codress
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Any with wings! ^_^

Post by Codress »

Yeah I would say the coop might want to try some extra protection. like for the doors have metal or extra wood peice that is a little over the part when you close the door so even if they move the door over some can't wiggle threw thr cracks. hope i'm saying that ok for what i mean xP Good luck I hope your efforts work and safe chickens =)