Website Update: Text Hunter Edition!

Talk about anything you want here.
Rythe
Mystic
Mystic

Website Update: Text Hunter Edition!

Post by Rythe »

But first, I had noticed a few too many bad links appearing on the forum from the new Search page, so we fixed it. They should all have '%20' instead of spaces in them so the forum code'll capture and convert them correctly.

But for me and Summer Storm's main triumph (and a bit more importantly to a few of you), we overrode the browser's text search capability with one that actually works on the new website. This is most useful on pages like the Pet and Item Inventories, but could help on the lore and item list pages too. Works about the same as the browser's version - A little better in some ways, a little worse in others.

As for the particulars: Cmd/Ctrl+F is the shortcut for it, but there's also a click toggle in the new menu entry. Enter does what you hope it does with the search controls. The 'Aa' button toggles case-sensitive searching, and as much as I'm sure I'm going to regret it, I set the thing to not search text in the header/footer/menu areas.

The interface is about 90% in place, as we will be adding in some more fanciness in a few days time.

It technically isn't a foolproof search algorithm either, but I don't think it'll fail on the new website. No matter how much Summer Storm gives me the evil eye over it. >.>

And, ah, pay no mind to Summer Storm's incoherent ramblings about recursive functions. She should be better in a few days. Maybe. I hope. <.<
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer
Favorite Sam species: Butterfly Sams

Re: Website Update: Text Hunter Edition!

Post by RikkuGirl »

Great job summer!!! :D looks great. I'll have to test it out fully.
My Sams!

Im a Chicken... Moooooo! D:
Rythe
Mystic
Mystic

Post by Rythe »

As it turns out, moving, coding at home, and doom projects at work do not mix well. I was maybe a weeee bit optimistic about how soon the finalish pass on this was going to get done. ^^' Less snorting over there, Summer Storm. >.>

But the search algorithm has been fixed a few ways and should work in every situation. Interface fanciness is also in place, mostly in that you can move the Text Hunter utility wherever you want and some improved behavior. I still haven't decided if I want to have it update the search as you're typing it in...

Interface fanciness is also a step toward implementing some other requests, but the year grows short and I've bigger fish to fry. <.<
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer
Favorite Sam species: Butterfly Sams

Post by RikkuGirl »

If you need any kind of help. :) Let me know! I'm not a huge coder but there may be something I can help with. :3 if so, I'm here! :D <33333
My Sams!

Im a Chicken... Moooooo! D:
Rythe
Mystic
Mystic

Post by Rythe »

Much thanks for the offer, RikkuGirl!

I'm trying to, ah, curb my ambitions around how much time is left this year. It's gone so, so amazingly fast. o.o

There's a few little things for me to poke at, but when I get back to it, I'm sure I'll have something that'll need some testing help before Christmas. I'll drop you a note when it happens. ::Nods::