Advice

Talk about anything you want here.
ImagineThingsOrNot
Yearling
Yearling

Advice

Post by ImagineThingsOrNot »

Any specific tools for traditional art(scanners, pencils, pens, markers, stuff like that)? I'm currently using a 72 pack of Prismacolor color pencils and my ink gel pen to draw.
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer
Favorite Sam species: Butterfly Sams

Re: Advice

Post by RikkuGirl »

:D Hi Imagine! so glad to see you around the forum. ^.^

Personally I just use a regular pencil to sketch. I'm quite fond of mechanical pencils myself because I never have a dull moment and also because they have the same width and consistency ALL the time. You will find with a traditional wooden #2 pencil, that you can change the shading style and harshness of the graphite by adjusting the direction and angle of the pencil. :)

Once I have sketched out my drawing, I then Ink with an inking pen. The best ones I have found on sale at my local craft store (Jo-Ann Fabrics). They are REALLY good to go through, even if you do it online, because they have A LOT of coupons! ALL THE TIME. Right now they are doing their fall sales and you can get like almost 60% off your regular priced item (Keep eyes out for the coupons and sign up for the emails, they send them ALL THE TIME) ;) So if you find some ink pens you like, you could get them for more than half off! Or any other items you might need. (http://www.joann.com/) The pens I use myself are: HERE! CLICK ME!

:) I like to use those because they dry REALLY FAST, so no smudging if you are really quick to draw and erase the pencil. Plus they come in many different tip sizes and they are just... smoothe. :3 I like them.

After I ink over my pencil lines, I erase the pencil; leaving only the inked outline. You may need to touch it up if it fades a little from the erasing, depending on your paper this can happen. :) Just be sure to be even, that's all I do.

Then you are ready to color with your prisma colors! My awesome sister Codress got me a large set too! I think its like 100 something! o: It was the best christmas gift EVER. ^-^ <3333 Anywho! Go to town with your coloring. I myself need to work on my coloring so we can both learn there! :D <3 If you got any tips you like to use, let a girl know ;)

After you are done coloring, you can use white out for white spots or glare. :) Then the final touch is to scan and upload. :D <3333 I like to use Photobucket, but that is just me. :) There are many places that will house pictures and uploads.

All kinds of tools can be used to make art! Dont limit yourself! :) Just do what feels right and you cant be wrong, It's art! :D The best thing is that it is from YOU! Cant wait to see what all you do! :)
My Sams!

Im a Chicken... Moooooo! D:
ImagineThingsOrNot
Yearling
Yearling

Post by ImagineThingsOrNot »

THANK YOU SO MUCH (My mouth literally dropped at the coupons) Plus here's my coloring tip: Color lightly with the base then add the darker or lighter colors to shade it, once you're done shading fill in the light spots with the base color. (thank you so muchhhhhhhhhh :D :D :D :D :D )
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Post by Sushidragon »

I think my tools are pretty basic, as far as drawing goes.. they no longer make the brand of pencil crayon I use anymore but Crayolas are close, just not quiiiite the same. Prismacolor Verithins and Staedtler are the closest thing I've found to my old brand, Laurentian. I use a Pilot V5 Hi-Tecpoint for most of my inking and white gel pen for highlights.

It's all about finding what you're comfortable with - good luck!
Image Image

Current icon by Plaguedog
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer
Favorite Sam species: Butterfly Sams

Post by RikkuGirl »

Oooo thanks for the tip!! :D i can't wait to see what you come up with!
My Sams!

Im a Chicken... Moooooo! D: