Chance Met [Sam Story]

Share your artistic endeavors here!
Origami_Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Favorite Sam species: You mean I have to choose?

Chance Met [Sam Story]

Post by Origami_Dragon »

*bounces in* Yay! Art and Writing board! Now I shall share with you the story that I wrote with Harroway's encouragement. Just a short story about the first meeting between my Hiss and Searing (who almost certainly are going to wind up in a Song together...but Hiss isn't sure she wants to be lead mare).

And so...enjoy!

The sand under his feet was still radiating warmth from the heat of the day, making a welcome contrast to the chill night air. He could feel the sands shifting under him as he ran and without even thinking about it shifted his balance slightly to remain on his feet. His feet never slowed, never seemed to hesitate as he ran. Ran for the sheer joy of running through the wide open sea of sand he called home. Searing of the Sands Aflame; that was what his mother had chosen to call him. Named for the joy he took in running as though he meant to set the sands aflame with the sheer speed of his passing. And now...the night was young, the moon was full, and there was an entire desert out there just waiting for him.

It was near midnight when he slowed to an easy lope, recognizing the area he was running through as one that contained one of his favorite watering holes and grazing grounds. Turning slightly from the path he had been taking Searing felt the sands change underfoot. Loose gritty sand was replaced with rough pebbles. It had taken him time to learn to walk over those with the same ease as on sand, but now he strode confidently over the changing ground, towards a growing patch of green.

As he approached the place where the gravel fields began to rise into jagged outcroppings of rock almost big enough to be called cliffs Searing paused and lifted his head, nostrils flaring. It smelled as though he was not the only one seeking the little canyon with its ever present spring of fresh water. Whatever else was there smelled almost like another Samanayr, but there was something odd about it.

With a snort Searing charged into the canyon, leaping over the small spring to put the rock wall at his back, then pivoting to face out into the canyon again. For one brief moment his head was low, his posture aggressively defensive, his slim horns prominently displayed, and he looked ready to face all comers. And then he blinked, catching sight of the other who was visiting this canyon spring tonight.

Searing's eyes widened and his head went up, as did one foot as he almost stepped forwards again, surprised by what he saw.. Standing there across the spring from him, trying with all her might to fade into the dark stone of the cliffs was a lean, elegant, trembling mare with not a single strand of hair anywhere on her body. Her eyes were even wider than his, but they seemed to be wide with fear if her posture was any indication.

After a moment Searing did step forward, eyes full of concern. "Gently now lady, I mean you no hayrm. I only thought that whomeveyr luyrked in this canyon might not be so kindly inclined to shayre the wateyr this night."

As he approached, circling behind her so as to leave a clear path out of the canyon should she wish to flee, Searing saw with surprise that not only did she lack hair, but she lacked any sort of ear as well. Her head turned to continue watching him as he drew nearer, noting the tiny glints of moonlight on the scales that covered her body in place of hair. He had to wonder at that; did she tremble as much from cold as from fear?

___________________________________________________________________________________

It had been a fairly good day by her standards for Hiss. She had seen no other desert wanderer all day. There had been another oasis with tall palms under which to rest during the height of the heat, for though she resembled a serpent she was still warm blooded and found middle of the day just as unbearable as any other Sam would. And now she had found this sheltered, hidden spring. It seemed unlikely that any other would spot it, tucked away in one of the dozens of dead end canyons that riddled this stretch of desert. The rocks held the heat of the day, radiating it out through the chill night, and those same rocks would cast shade for the day. Hiss had planned to remain here for several days before moving on.

And then as she had been grazing she had heard the soft crunch of hooves on the gravel that surrounded the outcroppings of stone. When they had paused just out of sight she'd thought her heart might just stop as well, and when they had resumed practically at the gallop she'd feared it had. She pushed herself against the cliff face, wishing silently that she wasn't so pale, so easy to spot against the dark granite behind her.

The other seemed to have no such trouble blending in. Her frightened eyes could make out little more than a shadowy form streaking by and coming to a halt just across the spring from her. They looked absolutely terrifying, a dark silhouette with spread wings and long sharp horns ready to charge her and do... Her imagination failed at just what this dark figure might do even as the figure faltered and became a confused desert stallion.

As Hiss fought for breath the stallion began to circle behind her, speaking soothing words that she was too frightened to understand. It took her a moment to realize that he was not moving to trap her here, but rather had left the escape open to her. Slowly she turned her head to watch him, not daring to move away from the stone she was leaning on lest she prove unable to remain standing without that support. His wings were not the huge, threatening things the shadows had made them seem. Instead they were small, stubby, even cute. The horns were just as long and sharp as her fear had made them seem, but it was hard to see them as threatening now.

As fear faded and her fluttering heartbeat returned to normal Hiss dropped her head, waiting for this stallion to drive her away from what was now clearly his spring. She should have known that such a splendid spot would be claimed. Presumably his mares were waiting out there for their stallion to drive the intruder away. Hesitantly, nervously, she spoke.

"I'm ssoyrry to have ventuyred into youyr sspyring. Pleasse, a dyrink befoyre I go?"

___________________________________________________________________________________

At the sight of the delicate little mare dropping her head as though in defeat Searing stopped, frowning slightly at her. He snorted and shook his head vigorously at her words.

"It is hayrdly my spyring, though should I found a Song one day I would like to make it heyre. But even then I would not dyrive a lone tyraveleyr away without a dyrink."

By now he was almost close enough to touch her. A step more and he stretched out his neck to nudge her towards the spring. That odd scaled skin felt silky smooth as he brushed against it, and she looked quite startled at his touch. Those huge eyes turned towards him again as she staggered a few steps towards the water. Moving up beside her Searing paced down to the water with her and waited for her to drink first. He felt oddly protective of this quiet little mare as he watched her hesitantly lower her head and drink deeply of the sweet water. The thought crossed his mind to wonder if perhaps she would like to stay here in this quiet little canyon. If she would mind if he stayed here too, at least part of the time.

Searing didn't go back out running again that night.
Last edited by Origami_Dragon on Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Re: Chance Met [Sam Story]

Post by Sushidragon »

Aww, how sweet ;____; It's a good thing they ran into one another! I'm sure Searing will take good care of Hiss :D
Image Image

Current icon by Plaguedog
Kendarath
Lamanayr
Lamanayr

Post by Kendarath »

That was very sweet, and your writing style is beautiful, I could clearly imagine what was going on, and the emotions of your characters brilliantly portrayed. All in all a very lovely piece of writing, a pleasure to read!
Origami_Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Watchful Dragon

Post by Origami_Dragon »

Thanks guys! I had fun writing it and I'm glad people are enjoying reading it. Once I got started the whole thing just sort of flowed.

Eventually I will poke at the scanner until it cooperates so that I can get the sketch that goes with this story up too.
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Favorite Sam species: Sa'grisayr

Post by silvermoondragon »

aww, cool! can't wait to see the sketch!
Origami_Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Watchful Dragon

Post by Origami_Dragon »

Finally...the scanner decided to cooperate this time. I really don't think it likes me... Usually when I try to use it it freezes up. Anyways...the sketch that goes with this story! It doesn't line up perfectly with you they would be posed, there's no background, and I was afraid to add their rather detailed markings...but here we are.
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Kendarath
Lamanayr
Lamanayr

Post by Kendarath »

That's very nice. You're good at getting emotions into your art, too! Backgrounds and details will come eventually, it looks like you have a strong base to start from. :)
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Favorite Sam species: Sa'grisayr

Post by silvermoondragon »

That's great! I love your hooves and Searing's face. I hadn't really noticed before, but it's cool that they are both wearing necklaces.