Spidey's Sam Giveaway Contest - Closed!

Contests, games, draws, and other ways to get Sams! Also custom availability.
Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey
Favorite Sam species: Kodyla

Spidey's Sam Giveaway Contest - Closed!

Post by Jennalyn »

Hello all! What we have here is a little mini-giveaway-contest, courtesy of former Samanayr owner Spiderfly. She has herself a collection of pretties from days gone by, of the tinier art style that Sushi used to use for Sams. Not being active with them, she felt a bit guilty and told me to talk to Sushi about options for finding them new homes with owners who would participate in the growing community. You know, find them mates and whatnot.

This contest is for anyone with five or fewer Samanayrs belonging to them. If you have more, feel free to watch, but this is to give some owners and non-owners the chance at increasing their ranks of Sams.

Below are the Samanayrs looking for a new home, along with their information. To participate, I want you to answer one question for each Sam that interests you:

Who or what do you see?

This could be a personality, a background, a future... whatever you see. Your replies should be in a single post in this thread, including their name and the answer to that question. It can be as long or as short as you'd like. Please do not PM them to me or to Sushi. Feel free to edit that post and add other entries at your leisure. You may apply for more than one, so long as you currently have five or fewer Samanayrs. If you want to apply for all of them, apply for all of them! Nobody will be winning more than three max, provided there are enough entries. Don't worry about fairness. I'll keep things fair.

If a Sam is currently in a Song, you should be willing to keep them in that Song. If they aren't, you might strongly consider having them join one or, if they're a stallion, starting one with them. I know that would make Spidey happy, to see them living with others of their kind! I would be quite happy to help with Song suggestions if anyone needs them, too.

I will be closing this contest on August 7 at 11PM PST, Sushi's timezone. It will be judged sometime after that.

Note: If you win a Samanayr and they're going on a PI presentation rather than a webpage, please PM Sushi to have them certed. If not, no need.

---------------------------------------------

Image Image
Dancer of the Autumn Fields -- Samanayr Mare
Born to the Song of the Rainbow III (Hint of Cresting Sunlight x Points of Broken Soil)
Currently a member of the Song of the Autumn Foliage
WINNER: LvSoulFriend

----------

Flint of the Broken Stone -- Samanayr Mare
WINNER: Zephyr

----------

Night of the Cloudy Moonlight -- Samanayr Mare
WINNER: AranelSaraphim

----------

Mirage of the Endless Desert -- Samanayr Stallion
WINNER: Zephyr

----------

Memories of the Forgotten Ancients -- Samanayr Mare
WINNER: Rekyrem

----------

Fruit of the Laden Vines -- Samanayr Mare
Born to the Song of the East Wind (Mystic of Four Winds x Whirlwind of Spring Coming)
WINNER: Neocridders

----------

Lull of the Lazy Summer -- Samanayr Mare
WINNER: Math

----------

Break of the Ocean Shore -- Samanayr Mare
WINNER: Nighthenge

----------

Splash of the River's Bend -- Samanayr Mare
WINNER: Janalee

----------

Crown of Royal Bearing -- Samanayr Stallion
WINNER: Melomar

----------

Riot of Spring Approaching -- Samanayr Mare
WINNER: Melomar

----------

Amethyst of Unsuspecting Shadows -- Samanayr Mare
WINNER: Janalee
Last edited by Jennalyn on Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:49 am, edited 4 times in total.
Bluestarwolf12
Blue of the Howling Stars
Favorite Sam species: Sa'Grisayr

Re: Spidey's Sam Giveaway Contest - Open!

Post by Bluestarwolf12 »

Are we allowed to write a story with one of them for an application? The story would explain how I see their past and personality, ect.
Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey

Post by Jennalyn »

Yes, a story would definitely be an acceptable means of answering the question. <3
Bluestarwolf12
Favorite Sam species: Sa'Grisayr

Post by Bluestarwolf12 »

Application for Night of the Cloudy Moonlight:

Silence. That was the only sound that could be heard for the time being. But right now, that was not enough for the black and white samanayr as she sat before the wide open plain, contemplating when it would come again. She was waiting for something. Something very specific. Something that she hadn't seen in years. And now, on the night that it was supposed to be visible, the clouds obscured her view, smothered the light from the one thing she was seeking. All she wanted was a glimpse. A glimpse of that light... Suddenly, Night of the Cloudy Moonlight was blinded. This light... Could it really be? Yes! It was! For the first time in ages, Night layed her eyes on the full moon. Memories flooded back to her, memories of her friends, her mother, and... Her father. The black and white stallion of which Night was the spitting image. The stallion that had cared for her for so long... The stallion that had died years ago, doing the thing that he loved... On a night just like this one. The last time Night had seen the full moon. The night of her father's death... A lone tear slipped down Night of the Cloudy Moonlight's face. She had loved her father with all her heart. There was one thing that he had always enjoyed. One thing that they would always do together. One thing the Night hadn't done since she last saw the full moon. And that one thing... Was run. Run for the sheer joy of running. Run because she felt like running. Run for the feeling of the wind in your hair. And she had waited. She had sworn to herself never to do it again until she saw the full moon. And this was that night.

Suddenly, Night of the Cloudy Moonlight lept from where she stood, and within seconds, was off and running. She could feel the wind through her hair, the grass as she ran through it, the speed causing adrenaline to pump through her veins, and, for the first time since the night of her father's death, the sheer joy of running, of living. It felt as though he was running beside her, as though he were enjoying the moment right there with her. Happiness welled up in Night's chest. This was the night that she would allow herself to let go of him, to turn from the past and look to the future. This was the night that Night of the Cloudy Moolight could become free of her sadness, could become free of her fears. The night that she would forever open the gate to her heart. The night that she would become forever free.
------------
------------
Application for both Memories of the Forgotten Ancients and Crown of Royal Bearing:

Memories stood quietly before the stallion, her cheeks burning like a wildfire, her eyes dark with fear of rejection, as well as fear of the stallion himself. Memories had stood before this stallion before, but never had it been for this reason. Memories had fallen head over heels for this stallion long ago, but had always been terrified that he would turn her down just like all the others. But she stood before him now, having just revealed her feelings, and she couldn't help but be afraid. She looked up at him, trying desperately to cover up the fear in her eyes, to find his expression completely unreadable. What could he be thinking? Was he upset? Angry? Furious? Or... maybe happy? Joyous? Thrilled? Even after knowing him for so long, she still couldn't read him. Suddenly a smile broke through the unreadableness. A smile of pure joy. A smile that reached his eyes. Crown of the Royal Bearing... was smiling. Something so simple... But still something Memories had never seen him do. Or at least, something that she had never seen reach his eyes. He was ginueinly happy. Then he spoke up. "I've... I've been hoping... To... To here those words from you... for so long..." tears were begining to well up in his eyes. He took a few steps foward, his eyes on hers. "And... I've always known... or... I've always hoped... That you would eventually say them to me... And now..." he paused, trying to force something specific out of his mouth. "Memories of the Forgotten Ancients... will you... will you form... form a Song with me?" Absolute glee filled Memories' chest. "Yes! Absolutely yes!"
Last edited by Bluestarwolf12 on Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
LvSoulFriend
Song Wrangler
Song Wrangler
Favorite Sam species: Mystic

Post by LvSoulFriend »

Dancer of the Autumn Fields, born to the Song of the Rainbow III, was quite quiet as a foal. She preferred to sit back and watch, always observing. Until the autumn harvest, that is. Then she became the most outgoing foal in the Song, always bouncing around and singing out loud. As she grew older, her bouncing became more refined, more graceful, until they became a dance of celebration. When her naming day arrived, no one was surprised at the name she received, Dancer of the Autumn Fields. Each autumn, she celebrates the harvest with her dancing, singing songs of joy and thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Night of the Cloudy Moonlight looked around. It was nighttime, her favorite time of the day. Raising her head to the sky, she watched with delight as clouds scurried across the sky. Giving a little buck, she raced across the flatland, chasing the clouds. Slowing at a stream, she bent to drink. When she finished, she raised her head, and leaped back in surprise. Across from her was a stallion, watching her every move.

"Gyreetings. What byrings you to the Song of the Thundeyring Hooves teyrritoyry?", he inquired in a low voice. Eying the stallion, Night answered with a toss of her head, "I am chasing the clouds and the moon, as I have done since I was a foal. Would you stop a wandeyreyr fyrom heyr jouyrneying?" Throwing his head back in laughter, the stallion shook his head, amused at her pertness. "Nay, I would not stop a tyraveleyr from her jouyrneys. A stallion, mayhap, but not a mayre. Fyrom heyre to the yriveyr afteyr the foyrest is my teyrritory, you ayre welcome to tyravel thyrough."

With a slight tilt of his head, he considered the mare for a moment longer. "You ayre welcome to yretuyrn heyre as well, when you have finished chasing the moon. My name is Gloss of the New Chestnut." Startled, Night looked at him, "I thank you foyr youyr couyrtesies. I am Night of the Cloudy Moonlight." Pausing a moment, she looked at him, "I might take you up of youyr offeyr, when I am done."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mirage of the Endless Desert looked around him. As far as his eye could see, there were dunes and sand and blue sky, with not a cloud in sight. Behind him, he knew, were trees and rocks and water. This was his home, even though he wasn't a Desert Samanayr. Crouching, he peered up at the sun. It was too bright right now, evening would be the smarter time to venture into the desert. No one had ever called him smart when it came to the desert. Springing up, he let his legs carry him into the desert. When the trees were nearly out of sight, he turned, and paced parallel to them. This was his home, his territory, where the desert met the scrublands, where the desert was endless.

((I might come back and add more later :D ))

Edit: Night of the Cloudy Moonlight would be my favorite :D
Last edited by LvSoulFriend on Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Neocridders
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Neocridders »

Dancer of the Autumn Fields

I see a young Samanayr, lurking in the grass, wishing not to be found. I see a briliant girl waiting to mature, but obviously still loving the life with little responsibility. I see a great beautiful butterfly, just waiting to escape her cacoon. She wants to be free.

-------

Mirage of the Endless Desert

I see a stallion, yearning for love. He wants the family, the wife and offspring. He wants to love, someone to care for. Someone to care for him. Mirage od Endless Desert always follows the path, looking for love. But it always seems to be far away. He can never quite reach it.

-------
Fruit of the Laden Vines

I see a beautiful mare. She enjoys the freash air around her, the grass in her hooves as she trots around her garden. She dreams to be great, but she lacks talent. She still needs to find her talent. She will, I know she will. I bet she will become a poet or an artist. But she will be great, even if now she is only a dreamer.
<333 Neocridders <333
Fruit of the Laden Vine is my one and only Samanayr. I love her <3
melomar
Integrated
Integrated
Favorite Sam species: Lamanayrs

Post by melomar »

I hope you don't mind one application total, for all of the Sams I am interested in. When I saw them, I took there poses and colors to heart, as well as what their personalities might be. To me, they all seemed to be interacting with each other!

When I come upon a new Sam in the story, their name is highlighted for convenience's sake. My application is any for the following: Flint of the Broken Stone, Night of the Cloudy Moonlight, Mirage of the Endless Desert, Memories of the Forgotten Ancients, Lull of the Lazy Summer, Break of the Ocean Shore, Splash of the River's Bend, Crown of Royal Bearing, Riot of Spring Approaching, Amethyst of Unsuspecting Shadows.

Entry

Regarded by her companions as harsh or judgmental and believed by some to be mute, Flint of the Broken Stone regarded the other Samanayrs with chilly detachment. She was not sure why she should bother with the lot of them. She had been through good times and bad with many of them however, and suffered quietly to humor the good-sized gathering.

She preferred to live alone. She liked to hear the sharp echo of her hooves on shale and sand, but she disliked the way multiple sets of hooves sent shocks of endlessly bouncing sound to grate painfully in her ears and up her spine. The quiet of solitude was a delicate and savory melody indeed. Even so, this may be her last time seeing any of them again; in her heart of hearts she felt a twinge of loss. The thought of bouncing hit her forehead almost tangibly as another mare bounded by. Flint’s brow furrowed in annoyance and she forgot her saturnine listlessness.

Night of the Cloudy Moonlight was not as subdued as her name might claim. She was an energetic lady whose age would never be guessed by her actions alone. She romped with Mirage of the Endless Desert with great and innocent enthusiasm. A desperate energy flowed through her veins as if to cease her play would freeze her joints in place. Perhaps in the nighttime she turned to stone and she liked to get the most out of her sunshine. As the mottled female raced past Flint, lighthearted irony touched her as a crooked grin touched her face: Flint’s name was a stony as she behaved.

A questioning look from the stallion earned him the dismissive shake of her head and a toss of ample silvery mane. It sparkled briefly like the moonlight for which the mare was named. Frankly, he thought it was beautiful. He shrugged off his curiosity as his captivation continued and he chased after her retreating form, she heedless of his piercing gaze.

He nearly missed the prone form of another mare just past the boulder-like obstruction that was Flint. Memories of the Forgotten Ancients lazed about in a rare patch of soft moss. She heard the pounding of two sets of hooves but did not so much as flinch as Mirage vaulted over her maroon-colored body. She was tempted to tickle his belly with a hoof but decided against it as it occurred to her that in his startlement one or both of them could be injured. As it was, a flick of her tail tickled his leg and he chuckled as he continued on. He called out a challenge to join them, but Memories declined. It was pleasanter to ponder and reflect here in the pleasantly warm air, reclining on the cool, moist earth.

Beside her slumped Lull of the Lazy Summer. She actually napped where she stood, somehow locking her hooves in place even while her body swayed and buckled, as if caught by a gentle breeze. She was completely oblivious to the others around her. Memories snickered softly under her breath and rolled over onto her back, kicking her feet into the air. She wondered what Lull was dreaming about, if anything. She seemed peaceful and content at least.

Memories looked up as a flash of color slipped by her and she rolled back over, curiously tilting her head. The blue-and-tan bands of Break of the Ocean Shore’s feet loped among the stationary Samanayrs and beyond. Like a great hound she stalked after her “prey”, the silly duo before her, for her head was lowered and her tail was raised at a peculiar, jaunty angle. More delighted laughter escaped Memories’ lips.

On her way to the beach, Splash of the River's Bend stopped in her tracks, realizing that Break was no longer accompanying her. Glancing around with mild alarm, she spied the other mare and snorted; Break was so easily distracted by new possibilities for amusement. Splash hoped that whomever Break’s quarry might be, they would not take offense to her somehow childlike, but playful demeanor.

Several moments passed and a startled outcry rang out past a nearby hill. It was quickly followed by an uproar of laughter and more pounding feet. Soon after, Break charged into Splash’s view, pursued closely by another mare and a stallion: Night and Mirage, respectively. Another snort and Splash was on her way again, this time to romp in the rolling waves with not one friend but three.

At the apex of a fairly tall hill, another stallion watched over the others. Crown of Royal Bearing had been named most appropriately. Fiery complexion and royal-blue markings notwithstanding, his was an air of calm but strict superiority. He had a grim respect for Flint, though she had little warmth to spare.

Someday he should like to form his own Song. And together, with his lead mare at his side, theirs would be a Song of almost military bearing and control. It would be glorious, it would be perfect.

Perfect like he was.

A multicolored tail swiped at his nose and he shook his head clear of his daydream. Nostrils flared and quivered, the remnant sting tickling his skin. Riot of Spring Approaching eyed him reproachfully as if she knew exactly what he was thinking, before sitting down beside him and nudging him lightly with her shoulder.

His song would be perfect. Like Riot of Spring Approaching.

He turned and smiled with carefully-reined chagrin but also some measure of affection. She knew him so well.

Even so, she wondered to herself as she angled her head to watch him speculatively, was he daydreaming of the future Song he routinely chattered on about, or about that lovely purple mare he had been vacantly staring at?

Amethyst of Unsuspecting Shadows pranced past the pair with her banner-like tail held high, eying Riot with a sickly-sweet smile and a wicked gleam in her eye. She was a beautiful mare and she knew it all too well. It was obvious to the white mare what Amethyst believed. But as Crown proceeded to ignore her, as if his gaze had beheld something beyond her purpure form, he instead focused on Riot beside him. She chuckled to herself and the male was understandably perplexed, until another explosion of laughter and wild splashing in the shallows below dragged his attention away.

It was a shame this camaraderie would soon end, he thought. But the Samanayrs gathered today would soon go their separate ways, to follow their own paths in life and meet their own destinies. And that was a wonderful thing.
AranelSaraphim
Mystic
Mystic

Post by AranelSaraphim »

Night of the Cloudy Moonlight

Night of the Cloudy Moonlight stood upon the cliff, gazing around her, feeling the wind in her mane. She sighed sadly, wishing for what was not to be. The dark night sighed softly with her, the breeze blowing through the leaves of the trees, rustling them with a sound much like wings. This only increased her melancholy. She wished to fly - it was her truest heart's desire. She had been born without wings, but her heart yearned for flight and her obsession with flying had cost her everything. No song, no foals, she wandered restlesstly. The closest to flight she'd ever come was running and leaping over the small streams in the forest. Leaping....She looked down at the ground far below her - perhaps...perhaps if she jumped...for one, brief, glorifying moment, she would fly. The part of her that saw reason balked at the thought, she would surely die! But the part of her that yearned for the sky spoke louder- didn't mother always say that if you wished hard enough for something, it would come to be?

Taking a deep breath, she jumped, launching herself into the air. The ground was far, far beneath her and it was as if the world had paused. The air flowed through her fur, streaming her mane and tail behind her. I'm flying!, she though happily as she soared through the air. She looked down at the trees and suddenly, her heart lurched...that ground was coming up at her rather quickly...and no wings had sprouted suddenly from her back. Her joy turned to horror as she came to the realization of what she had done. She whinnied in terror.

Unexpectedly, she felt a sudden tug around her waist and a presence above her. She looked up to see a dark blue samanayr with beautiful butterfly wings and a whitish samanyr with dragon wings, both of them with their front legs wrapped around her waist. Together, they guided Night down to the ground, where they landed in a heap, but mostly unharmed. Both samanyrs turned to her. "Ayre you okaye?" asked the female white sam, "Lyfe is neyver as bad as you myght think it iys...pleayse, we'll taylk, wye'll heylp you..." The blue male simply stood, his coat glistening with silver sparks, his eyes never leaving hers.

Night was embarrassed, and hung her head low. "Aye...waysn't...tryeing to..." She took a deep breath. "Aye wanted to flye." She looked up at the two of them. The white mare was staring at at her, incredulously. "You whayt??" A low chuckle distracted them both and they both looked at the male. His expression hadn't changed, but there was a twinkle in his eyes.

"Aye aym Glitter of Moonless Niyeghts, and this is one of mye mayres, Briyeght of Wiynter Noon." he nodded his head to Night in a gesture of greeting. His eyes took her in, the white of her hair, the black and white pattern of her coat, the winglessness of her body. He smiled. "Aye cayn appreciyate the wanting to flye, but feayre not, lovely layedy, you cayn flye. Aye have seen you graycefully flye over objeycts in your payth as if you truly hayd wings....and your beayutiful coat wouyld surely suffer from the dystraction of wiyngs.....you ayre wonderful the waye you ayre."

"Aye....aye aym...Niyght of the Cloudy Moonliyght...."she managed to get out. Her head was swimming from the glowing praise and compliments from the beautiful stallion. She looked down at herself. She'd never even thought of herself as anything but plain and common. And to think that this male had been watching her? She blushed furiously.

"Niyght of the Cloudy Moonliyght, eh? Why iysn't that perfeyct? Wouyld you cayre to joiyn my soyng? Aye'd love to be ayble to waytch you run uyp close rayther thayn from afayr...." Her eyes widened. This stallion was asking her to join his song? Really? She was amazed and thrilled, he was so handsome...she looked to the other mare, but she was just smiling too. "Aye...aye wouyld be honoured...."

"Naye, pretty oyne, we are the oynes to honoured."
Last edited by AranelSaraphim on Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
perryunicornboy
Lamanayr
Lamanayr

Post by perryunicornboy »

A small timid stallion who has been picked on his whole life for being a scaredy cat. He is afraid of everything even his own shadow and all the other sams pick on him. He is even afraid of mares he is so shy and timid. Despite that he is very sweet and caring and also loving. If he could could get past his fear he would be a fine catch for any mare but his fear just gets in the way. He is very lonely and needs a girl to approach him first and try to break down the wall the his built up around him his little wall of fear that will keep him from getting hurt. Someday he will find love.
Nighthenge
Mystic
Mystic

Post by Nighthenge »

Flint of the Broken Stone
I see a mare with attitude. She's lead mare and don't you forget it! She is the one to put herself out there and keep everyone in line (including her stallion :mrgreen: ) Her stance says "Who do you think you ayre, tyrespasseyr."

He fairly quivers with energy; one of those creatures who is never still. You know, the ones that tire you out just watching them. He's chipper and cheerful, inflicting his happy on his mares and anyone else in
bouncing range.

Memories of the Forgotten Ancients
Memories is a sister in spirit to my mare Pride of Ancient Honor. They revere the old ways of the Samanayr ancestors and keep the lore for future generation. Memories is a teacher to the foals, but they sometimes wear her out as young ones can.

Lull of the Lazy Summer
Makes me think of the hot humid days of our local summers. The air is still and heavy and you don't want to move an inch if you don't have to, just laze and doze in front of the fan with a tall glass of mint ice tea.

Break of the Ocean Shore
When the summer is over and the tourists are gone, the beach is a quiet place. This makes for a perfect place for sitting and watching the world go by. You hear periodic cries of gulls and the muted hiss of the waves lapping at the beach. If you're a brave soul, you might stand at the water's edge digging your bare toes into the chilly sand while the water plays around you.

Crown of Royal Bearing
*Crown sinks down on his hindquarters with a huff* He holds his head high, looking down his nose at you. "Well! Don't you know you ayre in the pyresence of yroyalty? You should bow." He hold his regal pose for a moment, but his eyes are twinkling. He gives you a wink and you both collapse in laughter at his silly impression.

Riot of Spring Approaching
Earlier this year we went down the Cape to a place called Heritage Plantation. HP has an enormous collection of rhododendron and azalea bushes (tens of thousands of plants, most approaching tree size). On this particular trip they were all in bloom, a vast explosion of white, pink, red, and green.

Amethyst of Unsuspecting Shadows
She is a shy and reserved mare who does her best not to make eye contact. She does not like to be the center of attention so she does her best to hide in plain sight, ducking her head when others turn her way. Her bright coat draws eyes and makes this difficult and embarrassing. The pink tint to her coat resembles the blush she wears when a stallion tries to talk to her.
Last edited by Nighthenge on Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Math
Life without Sams is like Life without Air... It's Not Possible!

Post by Math »

Night of the Cloudy Moonlight -- Samanayr Mare

I see a light hearted mare, who loves to sneak through the night while singing softly to the creatures lurking in the darkness. She enjoys looking into the moonlight, while picturing the very soul who was rumoured to have created the world she resided in.
As a young foal, I learned that she enjoyed the fine arts. She would step in the paint, while painting small dots that shrouded her legs.
Grown, she was songless. She seemed solemn except on those journies she would take each night. She hoped to join a song, some day but only when she found the sams that would give her the enjoyment she had always wanted.

Just meeting this handsome stallion was a treat, as big headed as he was. He talked about the mares who saught him the most, and those who begged for his company. He never seemed to run out of things to say about himself, whether it was how handsome he was or how many mares were chasing after him.
As I got to know him more, I learned he was not just an ego maniac, but a caring soul. I caught him playing with some kittens, and he turned around to look at me softly. Who was this samanyr? He seemed different from the stallion I had first met.
I only hoped that I could bring him to his full potential.

When I fell asleep in that field, on the warm spring night, the last thing I expected was to have a samanyr mare sleeping by my side. As my eyes met her hooves, my how she would kick in her sleep!, I was startled.
I couldn't come to picture how gorgeous the sleeping mare was, she may have looked like a carrot, but she was no vegetable.
As I poked and prodded her face, she merely snored. I couldn't help but laugh when the comedic mare stood up and with her eyes closed, licked me.

Riot of Spring Approaching -- Samanayr Mare

As I sat in that field of berries, I harvested them. Quietly picking the most perfect off their small green stem, I carelessly tossed them into a woven basket. I didn't check them all that often, so I was surprised to see a small white filly rolling in the now smushed berries.
The juice of the raspberries, and strawberries stained her lovely white fur. I wasn't quite sure on how her mother would like her little filly stained.
As the filly grew into a fine mare, and despite the many bathing sessions, she remained colourful. She was forced out of the song, and ventured out to find her own.
I never knew a mare quite so fun loving as she, but I hope we can run into each other again, if only once.

I hope I get at least one of them!
Thank you, Spiderfly, Sushidragon and Jennalynn!
ImageImage
Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey

Post by Jennalyn »

Just to clarify for a few people, since I was asked: the five or fewer rule counts for when this contest began. If you had five or fewer, and during the course of this contest you receive more Samanayrs, you are still eligible to participate in the contest. If it matters to your Sam total, you don't have to count any foals received from this last July breeding round.
Rekyrem
Super Spiffy Awesome
Super Spiffy Awesome

Post by Rekyrem »

Flint of the Broken Stone

Oooh! Hello! I'm Flint, yes! Who are you? You must be a friend, yes!

You know, people like to tell me I'm a ditz. Maybe! But whatever they want to call me, I'm me, and that's never going to change! I don't think, at least... Maybe it will? Wouldn't that be something, yes?

Anyways, I figure we should get to know each other! It's the proper thing to do, isn't it? Here's a little bit about me, yes! First off, I like... I like... well, everything! I like knowing everything! I love to find things out, and explore, and investigate, and stare at things until they make sense, and meet new people! Mom always said I was a curious kid... That definitely hasn't changed!

So, what about you, yes? Do you like those sorts of things, too? Maybe we can-- oooh! That's such a lovely cloud, yes, yes?

---

Memories of Forgotten Ancients *fav

Everyone always asked me - the foals especially, but the adults as well - where my inspiration came from, or how I got so talented at making myself seem like a totally different person. The only answer I could give them was that it was a part of me. It always had been.

I'd had a thing for the performing arts as long as I could remember. Even when I was little, I would write and put on little plays for my friends. I never really knew where all the ideas came from... They were just always there. All I had to do was get them written down, get them played out.

Sure, I would perform pieces written by other Samanayrs who pursued the path of a playwright, but I never felt as connected to them as my own writings. I could never bring myself to put my all into it. Maybe, my ideas came from what I was in the past... Perhaps, somehow, they were memories from past lives. That could be why I feel so... into them.

Who knows?

All I know is that, however it may have come around, it's me. It's my life.

---

Lull of the Lazy Summer *fav

What was it about this whole 'running' thing that everyone loved so much? I never understood it. Sure, sure, they pranced around and smiled and laughed and knocked each other down, but... but! All it did was get dirt between my hooves and make me so exhausted! And the worst part was, they all made fun of me for it... They said I was out of shape. Psh!

Pulling to a stop, I panted, "Uh, I'll just... stop here for a bit, guys..." I hung my head down, mane flopping in my eyes. "Catch my breath and... stuff..."

"Oh, whatever, Lull!" one called back. "You really are lazy! Your parents must have been really good with making fitting names!" And, laughing like a child, they bounced off again after everyone else.

I frowned and flopped over on my side, into the soft green grass. The sky was a bright, clear blue above me, the sun blazing bright. Birds chirped, bumblebees and dragonflies flittered in the air, flowers swayed in the warm breeze... How could you not love a season like this? And honestly, how could you not just sit there all day, soaking it all in? Being lazy wasn't a bad thing. Being lazy gave you time to think and appreciate.

So what if I couldn't keep up with everyone else and their stupid running? I was having just as much fun by myself.

---

Crown of Royal Bearing *fav

I don't get why everyone's always so surprised at how I act. Apparently, since I'm such 'royal' colours, and my mane is like a crown, and my name is even Crown of Royal Bearing, I have to act bloody royal? That's a stupid assumption.

Personally, I can't stand all that formal stuff! Walking straight, talking right, having everything about you perfect, neat, and tidy... Hmph, I wouldn't be able to survive like that! I prefer to be messy, and do whatever I want, and talk how I like, and flirt with all the pretty lady-Sams-- er. Well, you get the point! I don't want to be kept in a cage because people think I should be all 'royal-like.'

Remember, kids. Judging books by their covers won't get you anywhere in life. Right-o.

---

What is this? Some sort of interview? A get-to-know me sort of thing? I'll have you know that I'm hardly impressed. Why is something like that so important to you all of a sudden? Can't a girl have her privacy?

Well, in case you're not catching on, I'm not going to be telling you anything personal. Not where I came from, not what my secrets are, not what I love most - nothing. I'm just going to stay quiet. I have the right to keep to myself, you know.

Why are you still waiting for me to do something? I have better things to do than spill my soul out in front of you. I'm just a normal Samanayr, alright? Nothing special about me. Nothing anyone needs to know.

If you'll excuse me, I'm leaving now. I can't think with people around.

---

( ETA: Alright, I think I'm done now. :D That was a pretty good writing workout, I think! Pulling personalities out of nowhere and showing them in quick little drabbles. Very fun! <3 )
Last edited by Rekyrem on Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hedge
Samanayr
Samanayr

Post by Hedge »

Who or what do you see? I see a tropical island with lush vegetation. A coastline of white sandy beaches. A samanayr stallion stands in the shade of a coconut tree, watching the lazy stretch of a lone mare. Sigh of the Sleeping Sea feels the attraction. A need to bring her into his song. Song of the Mystic Isle.

Moving out from under the tree, he slowly struts, stopping a few feet away. Tossing back his head, his mane flows like silk down his neck ... he snorts, whinnies and stomps his front hoof, then waits.
.Image.Image.
Zephyr
Lamanayr
Lamanayr
Favorite Sam species: Sa'grisayrn

Post by Zephyr »

Dancer of the Autumn Fields --
Born to the Song of the Rainbow III (Hint of Cresting Sunlight x Points of Broken Soil)
Currently a member of the Song of the Autumn Foliage

Dancer of the Autumn Fields: The air was heavy with moisture, another autumn rain having just ceased; the late afternoon sun warmed the fields, rich and colorful with the harvest, and a cooling breeze carried aloft with it smells of fall: windfall apples, pumpkin, late hay, the more subtle scent of dying foliage. Everywhere is a collage of color; vermillion, saffron, umber, cinnamon, nut-brown, gold, crimson; everywhere nature dons her best and brightest for a grand hurrah before the snows of winter.

Dancer stepped forward lightly, with that contrained eagerness and energy that autumn instills; the invigoration of a crisp breeze and field abalze with color. Dying grass bent underfoot, covered in leaves; nearby a mouse tried to rush away in panic, vanishing into the tunneled grass, dropping the bit of corn-cob it had been gnawing on, a leftover from a late summer harvest, now a feast for wildlife preparing for winter. Rain clung to her foot-tufts and made them cold and sodden, while her spotted back basked pleasantly in the sunshine.

She continued on her way, enjoying other signs of wildlife; more mice, birds also hunting out grain; raptors, come to prey on the smaller birds and rodents. However, her goal was the maze field, where stalks stood taller than she, and made a natural maze (no strictly-straight rows here, no!); this field was planted not for harvest, but as a food source for local wildlife in winter. Already well-picked, the erractic and dense field was a labyrinth of fun, a secret world set apart. She imagined it a celebration of all that was Autumn; she came here in late afternoon, when long shadows fell and made the maze more interesting, more complex.

Incidentally....it ALSO made a great hiding place from other Samanayrs who insisted she should help out a LITTLE more than she was, when work was a cruel agony that kept her from fields smelling of sun-baked pumpkin and apple cider, and from the corn-mazes and leaf piles!

It wasn't that she was irresponsible; it was just that nature and autumn, together, were a siren's call she couldn't resist. Of course, as lovely as the late afternoon sun was, casting dappled shadows everywhere and setting translucent leaves aflame, it was a pale candle in comparison to early morning, when the sunrise broke through low patches of mist that clung to low shrubs and gress, and drifted over the ponds. Sound was slightly muted and distorted, as in deference to those still abed, and even the most familiar sights seemed shrouded in mystery.

Then, as the sun dispelled the mist, every leaf, stem, and blade of grass was gemmed with dew; everything from climbing vine to rotted stump was transformed to a wealth of treasure.

Flight stepped out of the woods that edged the south border of the field, interrupting Dancer's thoughts; her own eyes lingered with amusement on Dancer's distant expression. "Let me guess, writing poetry about fall again?" she asked with dry humor, as she was often the one to listen to Dancer's first raw, sketchy drafts of poetry. Not that she really minded; she loved autumn as much as Dancer did, though she had not the knack of capturing it in words, prose or otherwise. And while her whimsical friend was still learning the basics of rhyme and verse and meter, here and there would fall a gem of thought, like finding a perfect, unblemished apple among the windfalls.

"I wasn't writing, I was just - enjoying," Dancer explained, "Just breathing, loving, living, experiencing fall. Besides," she added with a smile for her friend, "I can write all winter about it, when the storms are too bad to venture outdoors!"

"Perhaps we need to teach you to ski!" Flight bantered, with mock horror at being trapped indoors with a poet. "And snowshoe, and ice fish, and - "

"Oh hush, you!"

Flight wouldn't have admitted it for the world, but she was looking forward to it.

~*~*~*~*~

Flint of the Broken Stone--

Not everyone has a story to tell; or rather, not everyone has a story that's ready to tell. Their life, perhaps, is just begun; a blank slate, you could say. A wealth of possibility, a myriad maybes from the most mudane to the freely fanciful. And others - others have finished their tale. While theirs is a linear tale, at the same time there is a clear beauty and compelling power of a life well lived, a tale well-told, no matter if the ending is the same, no matter how many times you tell it. A story, they say, carved in stone, unchanging from beginning to end.

Flint, however - she has a different story. She has a story, no doubt, but it's a broken, scattered story, a patchwork tale of a thousand pieces that never quite fit together. Her memory is full of holes; missing is a day here, something she did there. She has no tragic story of suffering or loss to explain her memory; it is what it is.

When she tells you her story, it's never the same. It's not that she's lying; she's as truthful as she can be. But some days she remembers this, and some days that. It can be difficult to befriend her, but she's always interesting to know.

Sometimes, the gaps in her memory frustrate her, driving her to tears and angry frustration. "I should know this! I knew this yesterday!" Most of the time, though, she still smiles when she's forgotten something important. "Sooner or later, I'll remember it, I'm sure, when it's important to remember. See, today it's important to remember to stretch, and smile, and smell the flowers, and I remember what flowers are which. That's an important thing to remember. This flower, for example, makes a very nice tea."

And sometimes, she sets her sunny personality aside and confesses, seriously, to those she calls friend, "Sometimes I think it must be a blessing. I can live every day in the present, because, by and large, I don't have to carry past mistakes with me. At least, I don't think I do, but I could be forgetting that."

It's not that she forgets everything; in fact, she has a rather good memory. It's just on completely random recall. She'll fail a test put to her, but later, in a test on history, she'll suddenly remember, "Oh, this time last year I spilled tea accidentally!" The more trivial the memory, the better the chance of recall. Song and foaling gifts are late or early, but rarely on time; birthdays sometimes celebrated almost a year ahead or behind for her. It's a source of frustration for those close to her, but it's hard to stay angry with her; she means no harm. And she truly cannot help her memory.

Some Samanayrs - like all the newborn foals - their story is a blank slate, a story just beginning. Others who have died: their story is complete, a tale etched in stone.

But Flint of the Broken Stone, her story is a shattered slate, each piece holding a different piece of her history. Every time she tells her story, it's different. It can be difficult to befriend her, but she's always interesting to know...

~*~*~*~*~

Splash of the River's Bend --

Splash is a good friend of Flint; not because she can't remember, but because, quite often, she chooses not to remember.

Time, she says, is ephemeral; the past is water under the bridge. Whether the present is a gentle rain or a raging flood, it soon passes by.

Splash is rather fond of water-themed analogies, you see.

Her anger, when it is roused, burns hot and fast, and as quickly is gone. But she's hard to anger; the trick, she says, is to imagine anger like rain, and then pretend you have feathers, and let the water 'roll right off'. "Give yourself a good ol' shake, shake the bad feelings away, and move on."

She holds similar thoughts on life: "Love is like a river, it provides something essential everyone needs. Everyone is capable of being a source of this river, but for various reasons some people put a dam in their river so not everyone can 'drink'. Or sometimes their heart is wounded, and their love becomes bitter and poisonous. But I believe there is a river for everyone to drink at, no matter who you are, there's a river that will welcome you."

When asked if she's found her river, she smiles cheerily. "I've no idea, but I can tell you that I'm in over my head, and have been all my life, and that's exactly how I like it!"

She lives, she loves, she tales life in stride - or stroke? While others are getting their feet wet, she dives right in. Sometimes it means she makes mistakes, and while she admits regret to some of these, she says she wouldn't change who she is. "Water under the bridge, and all that. Sometimes I get washed up by my mistakes, but I've never yet been washed out by them, and you know, sometimes some pearl of wisdom is washed up with me!" She winks and laughs as she says this.

I would have asked more, but she's moved on already - water only stands still when imprisoned or frozen, you know - and like the flowing river, she's full of energy and rapidly changing moods. Ahead of me, I see her now, her head high, her mane and tail waving in the breeze. The cerulean blue fading to white, like spindrift atop the waves, and her laughter hangs on the air like the gentle babbling of a cheerful brook.

Oh dear, her wave of water-based metaphors and similies seems to have caught me in its wake! T_T

~*~*~*~*~

Mirage of the Endless Desert --

A mirage is, by definition, an illusion. Fortunately, Mirage himself is not an illusion. However he has a very bad habit of chasing after illusions. Not the type found in the desert, fainting from heat and dehydration, but the illusions of spirit and aspirations. Not quite delusions of grandeur, but definitely a penchant for setting unattainable goals.

It's not that Mirage is egotistical, just that he - well, he dreams big. The most beautiful Samanayr females in a Song of his own, someday. To become famous for an awe-inspiring poet (that, I confess, is one of his most wild pipe-dreams, his poetry is utter tripe and good only for a laugh). To find a way to fly - well, alright, most of his dreams are pipe-dreams.

The problem with this habit of impossible dreams is that he really truly believes they are possible, and happily shares his visions and percieved milestones with others. "I just spoke with the most amazingly beautiful Samanayr mare! I am sure she will be among the first to ask to join my Song someday!" he chatters enthusiastically, to those who listen to him. Or, "I made myself wings today by weaving leaves together! Didn't manage much more than a nice breeze, but it's a start!" Never mind that said 'wings' were little more than fans.

His propensity for wildly impossible goals frequently makes him a source of humor for other Sams, and occassionally (well, more than occasionally) the butt of more mean-spirited jeers and sometimes pranks. Thankfully, he is naïve and quite a bit oblivious to negativity. It's possible that the part of his mind that sees things as negative was miswired, so that not only does he seem incapable of recognising negativity, but also inable to consider his dreams in a negative light - e.g., impossible.

Other Sams seem to find him either annoying or stupid, translating his wild dreams as hot air, or foundless boasting. But generally he's taken in good humor, the same as he greets everyone; positively, an eternal optimist to the utter extreme.

I suppose that's really the best way to describe him. He can look at a glass that's empty and still see it as overflowing, because in his head it's a certainty that someday soon it will be! Even when everyone else looks at the empty glass and assumes he's hallucinating. A mirage of hope, in an endless desert of successes.

There are certainly worse ways to live than a life of blind, unshakeable optimism. Many might even envy him. I certainly do! ;-)

(gah, these seemed much longer in word doc T_T Now they seem so short!! 2,000+ words in word doc, each about one page!

Also Edited to add: Was advised to list in order of favourites. That is really, really, REALLY hard to do. Ideally, one stallion and one mare would be a dream come true, for while I have a stallion he is a memorial, and monogamous. So Mirage would be likely be first. Second....it's a very tough choice between Flint and Dancer, but I think Flint wins out by the narrowest of margins, because I've fallen in love with my idea of her character. Dancer next, for I love Autumn like nobody's business - ever seen me dancing in glee in an apple orchard? No? Too bad, then - followed by the quirky Splash. Honestly, I love them all, but shan't be selfish. The problem with these sorts of events is that, in developing their personality, you fall in love with them!)
Last edited by Zephyr on Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image Image Image Image
Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey

Post by Jennalyn »

We have some fantastic entries here at the moment. It's going to be a doozy to judge. *grins*

As a reminder to everyone, there is just barely over a day left to enter this contest. Please do not edit your posts after the ending date and time on the first page. Feel free to do so any time before that! Judging will probably happen sometime during the weekend.

And as a teaser to all, I'll be running the expeditions this time around, so be sure to keep an eye out for those in a week or so!
Janalee
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Healer

Post by Janalee »

There certainly are a lot of excellent writers here. ^^ I can't say I'm one of them, but I thought I'd throw a few entries in for the fun of it anyway. Good luck to everyone who entered!

Memories of the Forgotten Ancients
(I instantly thought of the song 'Ancestors of Stone' by Dargaard when I saw her, so I just went with it. *grins* She's overly dramatic and given to dreaming in an almost "Miniver Cheevy" style, but is certainly interesting in her own right, and completely enamored with anyone who shares her love of history. And so, on to the little intro...)

The mare huffed to herself, before flopping down on one of the smooth rocks atop the hill. Such insolence from all those uncultured Sams! Sure, they were more than willing to celebrate 'history,' but try to actually talk about it and they laughed in your face. And for all she knew, some of them may have even been born from the third Song of the Rainbow; certainly they should have cared about when and how they came into leadership!
She snorted in frustration once more, then lay down on her side, surveying all of the land before her in an effort to regain her calm. Certainly she wasn't the first Sam to be looking down from that spot; there must have been dozens, maybe even hundreds, doing exactly what she was doing now. Just think off all the different sights they must have seen! Dangerous Oquiesa on the prowl, friendly Songs coming together to celebrate the seasons...her eyes half closed as her mind wandered with her reverie. She suddenly found herself battling a Sa'krien, being asked to join one of those noble, old Songs...
"ForgottenAncients~Memories!"
The sharp call drew her out of her pleasant dreams, and she tilted her head to look crossly in the direction it had come from. For a brief moment she considered simply ignoring it; with a sigh though, she managed to make herself stand up again. With one last fond glace at the landscape, she turned and headed slowly back down the hill; after all, maybe they just wanted to apologize to her.

Break of the Ocean Shore
(Yeah, I thought it would be fun to try and match up a few more songs to Sams...though, writing that makes me feel like I should be in the 'Matchmaker, matchmaker' thread instead. XP Anyway, this time I'll go with "Ocean Floor" by Freshlyground. Outwardly, she's an impeccably cheerful, and perhaps somewhat wild, mare, with a joke for everything; it'd take a rare Sam to realize that her laughter is more of a defense to hide her loneliness and longing than anything else, especially when she would never admit to it herself.)

Splash of the River's Bend
(Ooh, a tough choice; I think I'll go with "The Dream of Rhonabwy" by Heather Dale. Some might find her too relaxed, maybe even slow, and prone to odd wanderings of thought and speech; she's so incredibly sweet though that most everyone loves her anyway. She's definitely the type you find yourself wanting to protect from the world, though whether or not she actually needs it is hard to say; it's possible though, considering her perchance to trust in fate and everyone around her.)

Fruit of the Laden Vines
(I really should have done these earlier; I'm afraid my choices might be getting odder and odder. *smiles* Oh well, I guess they'll work well enough. For Fruit, I'll go with "Ode to Confusion" by Harris Tweed. She's completely happy-go-lucky and always on the move, never managing to stay in one spot for long; it's less that she's restless than that she absolutely loves seeing new places and hearing new ideas. Even her mistakes end up being a source of amusement and new knowledge for her, and so more than welcome from her point of view. Her actions might make her seem like a flake to a number of Sams, but she's more than happy with herself, and not inclined to worry about what others think anyway.)

(And now I almost feel like I should see if I can find links to these songs now, but I can't imagine anyone wants to find out what poor taste in music I have. *grins crookedly* I still think everyone should love this song anyway though; this time I'll take "Jezebel" by Iron & Wine. Always inclined to go off by herself, or at least remain as quiet as possible during conversations, she's a difficult Sam to get to know in any sense; if forced, some might just shrug their shoulders and say she's aloof, if they bothered to think anything at all about her. To those few willing to put in the effort to reach her, they'd find a proud and pensive mare who honestly doesn't know why she pushes herself away from others; after all, she does truly appreciate the attentions of these few, and always has a kind, soft-spoken word and half smile for them.)

(And last but certainly not least, we come to Mirage. ^^ I have to say, it took me awhile to choose something for him too; since there can never be too many instrumentals though, I'll go with "Talisman" by Tom Hanson. Too humble and naturally melancholy for his own good, he's almost always unsure of himself, a fault which some might find adorable and others rather annoying, depending on their temperament. No one can say that he doesn't genuinely care about others though; you might actually say he cares too much about others, and not enough about himself. His mood is certainly affected by those around him anyway; if surrounded by harsh emotions, he'd become even more forlorn and withdrawn, but if surrounded by kindness, he'd show himself as a gentle and loving stallion, though still too serious.)

And this isn't exactly related, but I have to say that I want to hug Dancer of the Autumn Fields; she is related to half of the Sams I own, after all. ^_^ Thanks to Spiderfly for the chance, though I am sad to see you leaving too. *smiles, and hugs all of her Lueves*
Ooh, and a Jenn-run Expedition sounds fun! *crosses her fingers that she'll be around for it*
Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey

Re: Spidey's Sam Giveaway Contest - Closed!

Post by Jennalyn »

Alrighty, there we go. Winners posted on the first page! Congrats to everyone, and thank you for participating!
Harroway
Painter
Favorite Sam species: Sibyls

Post by Harroway »

Squee! Congrats everybody! <3
Janalee
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Healer

Post by Janalee »

*excitedly hugs her two new Sams* Thanks Jenn and Spiderfly, and congrats to all the winners!
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Post by Sushidragon »

Congrats to all of the winners :D And a big thanks to Jennalyn for running the event!
Image Image

Current icon by Plaguedog
LvSoulFriend
Song Wrangler
Song Wrangler
Favorite Sam species: Mystic

Post by LvSoulFriend »

Eeee! Thanks so much Jenn and Spider!

Sending you a PM Sushi!
Math
Life without Sams is like Life without Air... It's Not Possible!

Post by Math »

Guess a Sam and this contest does not mix. XD I was looking for a Sam and basically had a heart attack when I saw Math as the owner! Lol
Thank you so much, Spidey and Jennalyn! :D
ImageImage
Nighthenge
Mystic
Mystic

Post by Nighthenge »

Thank-you! I'll take good care of her.
Rekyrem
Super Spiffy Awesome
Super Spiffy Awesome

Post by Rekyrem »

Eee, yay, I won Memories! 83 She'll make a lovely addition to Streak's song, I think... >3>

Congrats to everyone else, too! I didn't have the time to read through all the entries but I'm sure they were amaaaazing. <3