Species Designations

Your place to discuss very serious Samanayr-related issues. Because Samanayrs are always serious. Always.
Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey
Favorite Sam species: Kodyla

Species Designations

Post by Jennalyn »

Okay, so here's a quick question about what denotes a what.

Obviously a Sam and a Lam will more often than not produce a Samanayr-Lamanayr Hybrid.

When my Dance (Desert-Samanayr Hybrid) had foals with Plunge (Lamanayr), the foals were Lamanayr-Samanayr hybrids.

If a foal is 3/4 one species and 1/4 another (say a Sam-Lam Hybrid breeds with a Lam and the foal is 3/4 Lam and 1/4 Sam), is there finally enough of the one species for them to be designated a pure species with potentially odd traits from the remnants of the last species? So the example foal would be a Lamanayr rather than a Lamanayr-Samanayr Hybrid at long last?
Origami_Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Favorite Sam species: You mean I have to choose?

Re: Species Designations

Post by Origami_Dragon »

The way I understand it, to be marked as just a Lam rather than the hybrid, the foal would have to get all the defining traits of a Lam. So a foal between a Lam and another species who had head mane, tufted tail, some sort of wings, and pure black eyes would be a Lam rather than a hybrid, even if they had some other traits as well.

But Sushi will have to confirm.

And now you're making me want to breed Deserts and Lamanayrs and see if it's possible to make a Desert Lam who has all the required traits for both... But I have other breeding plans first...
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey
Favorite Sam species: Kodyla

Post by Jennalyn »

*nod* That might well be the case with Lams... but what about other species?

One example I'm thinking of is Tone, Glint's son. He's half-Kirin and half-Lamanayr, and has all the traits necessary for a Lamanayr, yet is most definitely a Hybrid. If he were to breed with a pure Lam, would the foal be a pure Lam that may inherit a Kirin trait or two? If he were to breed with a pure Kirin, would the foal be a pure Kirin that might have a Lam trait or two?
Origami_Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Favorite Sam species: You mean I have to choose?

Post by Origami_Dragon »

Ooh, good point. *sits down to watch thread and see what Sushi has to say*

Edit: I just went and looked at Tone again and he doesn't actually have head mane...he has leonine mane. So maybe that's why he's a hybrid?
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Post by Sushidragon »

Usually, the only way to get a pure of whatever species is to breed two of the same species (or use modiems to get that species XD). Even if two Samanayrs with a variety of traits bred and happened to have a foal with all of the required traits, like Tone, they would still be considered a regular Sam or a hybrid.

In the case of Tone, although he does have the required traits for a Lamanayr (Lams can still have leonine manes), because his parents were of two different species he's still considered a hybrid.

When a hybrid breeds, the species of the foal will be determined as if the hybrid parent was just a regular Samanayr. For example, if a Lamanayr-Samanayr hybrid bred with a Samanayr, the foal would be considered a full Samanayr, and if a Kirin-Northern hybrid bred with a Lamanayr, the foal would be a Samanayr-Lamanayr hybrid.

The exception to this is the magical species - Mystics, Miseries, Mysetires, Shifters, and Healers. You can't have a partial magical species, the foal is either one or not XD Those species are more like traits than species.
Image Image

Current icon by Plaguedog