No Such Thing as a Free Meal [Open]

Engage in some good ol' freeform RP.
Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey
Favorite Sam species: Kodyla

No Such Thing as a Free Meal [Open]

Post by Jennalyn »

Misery was... hungry. She hadn't realized just how much she took the Song she'd left for granted, or how much they'd honestly done to keep her alive. Finding food was getting harder as the seasons turned. The weather had gotten cold and taken a lot of the greenery with it. Deep down, the girl just wanted to go back.

But she couldn't. She could never go back to a home that hadn't wanted her in the first place. To a mother who started crying when she thought about her. To a stallion she wasn't the daughter of. To Mystics, who despised her.

All in all, she was an angsy young lady.

Right now she searched for food, rooting around the bases of trees in search of mushrooms or tubers that had waited out the season. There weren't many other options in this part of the forest. If she didn't find something edible, she would have to spend a few hours walking and try somewhere else.

((OOC: If you're thinking about replying to this thread, please keep in mind: Samanayr society disapproves of Miseries. Mystics downright hate them sometimes, or are very wary due to lore passed down about the problems inherent in consorting with them. If your Sam reacts in any way but distaste, please have a very good reason. I want to keep this as real to the species as possible. <3

No more than two other players please, but however many Sams you'd like.))
Last edited by Jennalyn on Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Echos
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Desert

Re: No Such Thing as a Free Meal [Open]

Post by Echos »

((Just wanted to explain Shroud here a bit so her reaction doesn't see strange. She grew up and has lived in virtual isolation and has only seen one or two sam's before because he dam was paranoid and delusional. she raised Shroud to be wary of strangers and to fear that which lay beyond the grotto she lived in and the immediate forest beyond. She has no clue what a Misery is or why they are different from other Sams- that goes for all other species with the exception of lamanayrs.

Oh and here is were Shrouds home looks like- it s a little hard to describe but since its based on a real location I've visited I figured I'd like a pic- http://image.examiner.com/images/blog/w ... tto(2).jpg - behind the pool in the back of the cave is a large sandy beach))

Tucked inside the granite dome that was her home, Shroud was relatively protected from the cold breeze that had started to blow through the forest of late. Still she could feel the change of seasons in the large pool of water that filled most of her home. The mists that usually dispersed by mid morning had taken to lingering low over the water for most of the day, keeping the cave from ever truly warming up. She knew she ought to be out in the forest already gathering food for the coming scarce months but she loathed to leave the pocket of sand that had warmed up up while she slept.

Allowing herself a moment more, Shroud laugidly got to her feet and delicately stepped into the cold water, the mists wrapping around her knees like a thick white carpet as she moved quickly to the far side. Nothing like a cold dip in the morning to jolt one to there sense, she thought scrambling up the almost invisible path over the steep granite incline. Her mother had chosen the grotto for just this reason, looking down from the top of the path you could see nothing but a steep ravine strewn precariously with massive boulders and trees, many of which had thier roots hanging down through the earth and rock into thin air. Not even the stream that fed her own pool and those below it could be seen, though she could hear it winding its way down between the rock. None of the things her mother feared so much would have been able to find thier hidden home.

Up in the forest the signs of winter's coming where more apparent. Not only did the wind nip at her skin as she walked but the lush green of the trees and plants had thinned, exposing patches of dirt, moss and dried leave that hadn't been visible in prior weeks. She didn't mind the change so much for with the thinner foliage came clusters of hidden mushrooms, edible roots, soft moss she could use to warm her cave as it got colder and best of all, the hidden winterberries she loved so much. All this was easy to come by if you just knew the right places to look.

Coming up to one of her favorite spots where some of the largest winterberry bushes grew, she froze, the sound of another creature moving around in her clearing. Was it one of those creatures her mother had warned her about, a Oquiesa? Or worse, one of those things that looked similar to herself that her mother had always refused to talk about? She had seen them once or twice before in the forest but always from a distance and they had never noticed her.

Quietly, her hooves muffled on the damp ground, she darted behind a tree and peered around, trying to spot the noises source. There- at the foot of a tree, red hooves, and just a little above that a green head with a short tufty mane. It was like her, sort of. Looking closer Shroud could see what looked like scales and little nubs of horn, like her horn had been when she was little. Was this a young one? Despite her mothers warnings about these creatures, Shroud couldn't help but feel curios about this strange little thing. If it was young surely it couldn't harm her.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey

Post by Jennalyn »

Trudging through the falling leaves of an autumn forest, Misery had found little in the way of breakfast. Or brunch. Or lunch, which would have been most appropriate at this point. A few hard little berries here, a few leaves that still had some stubstance to them there, and her stomach wasn't very pleased with her efforts. At least there had been a stream two hours back for some fresh water.

She just didn't know enough about living on her own, not yet. It would be a hard-won series of lessons. One red hoof scraped dully at the ground by the base of a tree. Wasn't this supposed to be the perfect season for mushrooms? Why wasn't she finding any that were safe to eat? She moved on to the next tree in the clearing.

If only she'd known what winterberries looked like and that they were edible, not to mention where precisely to look for them, she probably wouldn't have had such a hard time of it thus far. She'd passed at least a dozen sources of food without realizing that she could eat them. They resembled another kind of berry, very poisonous, that grew around her old stomping grounds and she hadn't gotten close enough to see how different the leaves of the plant looked.

Angry at herself, hungry, and fighting back frustrated tears, the Misery stomped her hoof on the ground childishly and a spray of earth shot up twice as high as her little body from a foot away. Using her magic too much would tire her out, but sometimes it was the only way she could let out any sort of upset! She didn't notice that she was being watched, lacking the clairvoyance that Mystics could claim.
Echos
Mystery
Mystery

Post by Echos »

The little creature seemed to be looking for food and Shroud watched perplexed as it walked right past the berries and plants it seemed to be looking for. Didn't it know how to find food? That was the first thing her mother had taught her when she was young, yet this creature seemed completely unaware.

When it wandered off a bit Shroud followed, staying hidden behind trees and brush, but always close enough that she had a good view. The little thing seemed to be getting more and more frustrated as its search turned up empty. It didn't seem to have noticed her yet and growing ever more curious about this odd intrusion to her forest she moved closer watching with wide eyes, careful to try and stay quite and unnoticed.

If this creature didn't know how to find food why was it alone? Her mother had always said these things traveled and lived in packs yet by now she was almost certain there were no others around. Surely they would have come to help it. Was there maybe a reason it didn't have a pack? Maybe it had gotten lost or left behind by mistake.

Distracted by her musing Shroud didn't see the shower of dirt until it rained down on her. Startled she shrieked and bolted behind the nearest tree, eyes shut tight and trying to make herself invisible.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey

Post by Jennalyn »

The unexpected shriek startled the young Misery into a cry of her own, rearing and hopping back in the same motion. It ended with her awkwardly wobbling for a second before she found her footing. Once she'd planted her small hooves, gray eyes glared daggers at the clearing at large. Her head whipped back and forth, not catching sight of anyone.

Her frustration at herself turned to anger and embarrassment that someone had seen her general ineptitude at fending for herself. That had definitely been the shriek of a Samanayr-kin. She stamped both hooves down forcefully on the dirt and a spray twice as large as the previous shot up a few feet away from her. It didn't do anything besides make a big show and a mess, but that was her aim.

"I know you'yre theyre!" she shouted, still not sure which direction she should be speaking to. "I'm not afyraid of you, whoeveyr you ayre!"
Echos
Mystery
Mystery

Post by Echos »

Another shriek answered hers followed by a lot of noise from the other side of the tree. More dirt came raining down and Shroud shrank down, pressing herself to the truck and carefully making sure her horn was out of sight.

"I know you'yre theyre! I'm not afyraid of you, whoeveyr you ayre!"

Afraid of her? But wasn't she supposed to be afraid of it? In all her mothers stories those creatures were evil and malicious. They'd chased her mother for years until she'd hidden in this forest where they couldn't ever find her and where safe. So then why would it be afraid?

A few tense moments passed but when nothing happened Shroud's curiosity won out. Poking her head out from around the tree she watched the little creature warily.

"You pyromise not to eat me?" she asked, still ready to bolt if the thing attacked.
Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey

Post by Jennalyn »

The young Misery stood absolutely still, her ears twitching like mad as she tried to figure out where the loud voyeur was hidden. For someone who'd made such a loud scream, they were being ridiculously quiet. Her mother told her once that her pure-Air Mystic great-grandsire had been able to catch slivers of magnified sound on the wind, but she didn't have nearly enough control over that element to manage something so delicate. So she had to wait.

Eventually she heard a shifting to her right and her head jerked around, stormy eyes staring at first the horn and then the pale blue eyes that followed it. Definitely another Samanayr-kin. One with a weird, curly horn. She was growing in some spiky horns. She'd also been chased away by a stallion with two horns behind his ears before. The memory made her eyes narrow. The hesitant words practically turned them into slits.

"Meat is not food," she said with a trill in her voice that was as close to a growl as she could manage. All of the Mystics had instilled that very, very heavily on her psyche. She didn't know that it was due to her probable Sa'krien father. She just knew that eating meat was wrong. "Eveyrybody knows that. Meat is what evil Samanayr-kin eat, and I'm not evil! But maybe you ayre, because you have a hoyrn. Except it isn't yred, so you pyrobably ayren't. Neveyr mind. Foyrget I said anything."

Figuring things out as she talked always made her sound foolish to her own ears. She remembered being told that her little horns were a sign of her 'true nature', which they said was going to be bad, but it was because they were bright red and not just because they were horns. So they said.

"Just... just leave me alone. I'm tyrying to find lunch. And if you tyry to attack me with my back tuyrned, I'll use my magic on you and it will huyrt." Very deliberately, she turned her body away from the gray head and took a few steps. The other mare was too far away to notice her legs trembling from the stress.
Echos
Mystery
Mystery

Post by Echos »

Poor Shroud listened to the little creature with growing bewilderness. She couldn't make heads or tails of the things angry speech as it rambled on about horns and Samanayr-kin and other things that made very little sense to her. What did having a horn do with being evil? And what did red have to do with anything. Cocking her head a bit she wondered if the little thing would actually use magic to hurt her. The dirt from earlier, which she assumed had been magic, hadn't hurt after all and it had said it didn't want to eat her. Everything about the creature was different from her mother's stories and Shroud was beginning to wonder if the creature she'd stumbled upon was even the same one as in her mothers story.

Heeding the creatures warning, Shroud made no move to approach as she abandoned her hiding spot behind the tree. "Um, if you'yre hungeyry I could show you wheyre to find some food. You passed a lot of it eayrlier. It's just back that way a bit."

Offer made Shroud waited to see if the creature would accept. It had been so unpredictable she wasn't sure how it would react but then she wasn't that great at reading others having never met any. Unable to resist asking one question after the strange, confusing conversation, she asked curiously,

"Ayre you Samanayrkin?"
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer
Favorite Sam species: Butterfly Sams

Post by RikkuGirl »

*A few feet away, in the direction they had just came from*

Waltz lumbered down a time weathered path, that lead to many bushes of berries. Her face lit up like the sun when she got close and found a few raspberries hanging on a bush. Her pudgy stomach grumbled as she approached the fruit filled folliage.

"Yright then...In you go!" She said as she stared at the biggest raspberry. Her mouth opened as wide as possible, maybe too wide, as she gobbled up the berry. Her expression was priceless, euphoria mixed with childish pleasure. The little wings on her bum began to flap like a dogs tail does when happy. Her eyes shut with glee as she munched on the juicy berry. Only 3 left on this bush.

"Wow... these ayre Yreally good!" She said out loud to herself as she dropped her head again to tear off one of the others from the rich green bush. Her wings flapped again as she chewed the berry, unknowing of the two Sam's just a little way down.
My Sams!

Im a Chicken... Moooooo! D:
Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey

Post by Jennalyn »

Back still turned unhappily to the stranger, the Misery paused in her distracted searching when she spoke. Was this a trick? Would she lead her to some sort of poisonous berry? Or did she just want the abomination gone in as peaceful and unobstrusive a manner as possible? Was there a stallion around here that she needed to worry about? Suddenly leery, the adolescent foal turned around.

"If you know wheyre I can find some food - that isn't poison, then I- wait, what?" She stared, not sure whether she should start getting angry at being teased or assume that she was talking to a dimwit. Everybody knew what a Misery looked like. The Mystics had assured her of that. Everyone knew, also, how evil and dangerous and untrustworthy they were.

Except for this ninny, apparently. She decided to go with wary. "Of couyrse I'm Samanayrkin. What, do I look like an Oquiesa to you? I'm... I'm a Miseyry." There. It was out in the open. Now her sense could suddenly come back to her and she could squeal and run away like a frightened mouse.

The path traveled by the pudgy mare was obscured by a line of trees, though the Misery would have been absolutely furious to know that there were raspberries so close by and she hadn't stumbled across them. Especially this close to winter.

The faint remnants of the mare's voice that reached her, however, spooked her into jumping and bolting a few feet towards the trees opposite. She stared all around her and then turned to the horned mare, glaring. "I- is this an ambush?!"
Echos
Mystery
Mystery

Post by Echos »

((Sorry lame post, but I needed something else to concentrate on))

"Oh," Shroud paused to consider this new term- Misery. She'd never heard of a Misery before but she could tell that the little foal thought the name was shameful and was waiting for Shroud to react. She wasn't entirely sure what reaction she was supposed to supply though. Should she be scared? Sympathetic? Nothing about the creature, or samanayr as it had called itself, seemed bad or pitiful though for something so small it was awfully angry she thought.

Scuffing one hoof in the dirt for a minute she decided to just let the term pass. Trying to talk with this samanayr creature was certainly confusing and complicated. Not even her mother had been this unusual with her wild ramblings that Shroud could never make sense of.

Still trying to decided how best to continue when the sound of another voice floated by, Shroud froze, every muscle tensing in fear. The little misery hadn't been alone! There were more of these samanayr creatures wandering around her forest, just like her mother had said there would be. Why were all these strange things appearing all of a sudden? she thought distressed as she tried to remember her mothers warnings. The little sams angry question caught her off guard and she stammered in confusion, "What? No! Its one of your samanayr creatures. They've never come into my forest before now!"
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer

Post by RikkuGirl »

Waltz happily ate her berries. One... two... three gone. Her stomach no longer yelled in pain as it was subdued by the juicy berries.

The munching of her mouth overtook the sound of the others talking. As soon as she began to swallow the third berry she heard a faint bit of talking. Her pudgy ears perked up as she began to fear for her life. Funny how her first reaction is always fear.

She moved slowly her rump wings tucked closely to her sides as she pushed her way through the bushes and the trees that were hiding the path. She emerged from the treeline and onto the path. Her pudgy body swayed back and forth as she lumbered over to the noise, careful not to make too much noise, though being alittle over weight didnt help.

"Hello?...Whos oveyr theyre... show youyrself!" She said out loud, hoping whoever the noise makers were would hear her and emerge. She was not far from them, but did not want to venture closer. A thick line of bushes seperated them from her. Her legs began to shake a little with fear... "I do hope its not anything mean..." She said to herself.
My Sams!

Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey

Post by Jennalyn »

No comment on the species. Maybe she was just trying to appear tough and stoic and unshockable. Hmph. Whatever. At least she wasn't attacking.

But that noise, the strangeness of her surroundings, and her hunger all combined to make the little Misery extremely aggravated. She danced around uneasily, movement her first reaction to upset rather than the frozen stance of the other mare, and kept her eyes flicking to all corners of the clearing. The other mare's comment made her turn and stare.

She didn't think the thin mare was bluffing. That was just too convincing a reaction, and not in the I'm-trying-to-be-convincing sort of way. It seemed genuine. Which meant that they were both caught unawares. "One of my Samanayr cyreatuyres. One of mine?! You'd best be hoping that it isn't one of mine, because then we'll both be in yreal tyrouble and they'll have dangeyrous magic fully developed. No, moyre likely it's one of youyr Samanayr cyreatuyres, a noyrmal one without this cuyrsed back mane. Hopefully without hoyrns, too."

When she heard the voice again, it was much closer and it made the mane running all along her back stand up fuzzily. She locked her legs and fluffed out her tail and made herself as big as she possibly could, which wasn't as big as a filly grown Samanayr but was still quite furry. "You get out of heyre befoyre we make you get out of heyre!" she shouted back to the unseen intruder. She hadn't used the pronoun 'we' in a while. Hopefully that would help intimidate the stranger into high-tailing it out of there, especially if they thought she had a whole Song behind her angry, youthful voice.
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer

Post by RikkuGirl »

Waltz's face took on a look of shock as she heard a smaller voice reply to her to "Get out of Heyre". She was expecting a larger more thundering voice.

Though all her brain cells told her to leave, she decided curiosity was as good of a reason as any to possibly die over. She slowly walked through the bushes, her head popping out the other side. Her eyes laid upon a tall, slender, beautifuly one horned Sam and a small... very unfamiliar... creature.

"Ayre you the one making those thyreats?" Waltz said to the small misery. Waltz's eyes focused solely on her at the moment, wondering if she was infact the voice that warned her to leave.

"You know... its not nice to tell otheyrs to go away... Youyr supposed to invite them oveyr..." She said, her face changed from shockingly scared to happy and jovial. "My mum always said if you have nothing nice to says... says nothing at all." She snorted a little and then emerged from the bushes fully.

She was quite larger than the others, possibly 5 times bigger than the small misery, but was no where near as tall as the other Uni-sam. She had a large pudgy body and stocky legs that helped to move her slowly along. Her little rump wings stayed closely tucked to her sides as she took a second to shake the bush's debris from her body.

"Im Waltz... Nice to meet you both" She said with a goofish smile. She knew NOTHING of misery's and was quite the loaner... so contact with others wasnt a normal occurance.
My Sams!

Echos
Mystery
Mystery

Post by Echos »

The new creature, which Shroud assumed was another samanayr despite its different appearance, seemed friendly enough but she still didn't feel comfortable around these new creatures. All she'd wanted this morning was to find something to eat and go back to her gave and instead she had gotten caught up with the things that had given her nightmares as a foal and driven her mother away. None of it made any sense and all the confusions and excitement was starting to wear on her.

Unwilling to share her name with the large thing that had just wandered into sight, Shroud instead ducked her head and moved closer to the misery. She felt safer with the little foal, perhaps because it had yet to hurt her and wasn't quite a large and imposing. Plus, it knew about these samanayr things and didn't seem to be afraid of them.

"What ayre you doing heyre? Why have you come into my forest? No one eveyr come heyre befoyre " Shroud asked Waltz, though her question could just have easily been for the misery. Her eyes asked for an answer, all she wanted as this point was to find out what had changed to bring these samanayr-kin to her forest. She wanted to know if her forest was still safe. "Why heyre?"
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer

Post by RikkuGirl »

Waltz was taken by shock a little as the slender unicorn sam moved away. As she spoke her questions were more like accusations. "Me?" Waltz said as she tilted her head to the side.

"Im just hungyry" her face looked almost annoyed as she answered the barrage of questions. "I come heyre all the time.. I should ask YOU what youyr doing in THIS foyrest, I dayre not claim it foyr my own... I thought motheyr eayrth loved us all equaly..." Her voice seemed confused with this females claim of, HER forest.

"Heyre?, Cause the best yraspbeyrries EVEYR gyrow heyre... They ayre my favoyrite... I cant help it" She hung her head low almost disgusted with herself for loving to eat food so much. "I didnt know I wasnt allowed to be heyre... I guess Ill go finish up the yrest of my byreakfast and leave..." She started to turn to return to her berry bush breakfast.
My Sams!

Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey

Post by Jennalyn »

The tubby mare that came into the clearing - she just waltzed right in, breezy as you please, and started patronizing them. How insulting.

Obviously she wasn't going hungry this winter. Her form showed the plenty and success of her lifestyle. It made the Misery feel half-starved just looking at her. She stood trembling, half with uncertainty and half with anger, while she waited for the two of them to finish exchanging their nonsense.

And that's what it was, utter nonsense. What sort of babble was this? A loving mother earth? Not likely. There had been Earth Mystics in her birth-Song and none of them had been especially loving towards her. And raspberries? Where were there raspberries? She'd been wandering this wood for hours and hadn't seen hide nor hair of a berry this late in the season! She bared her teeth and lowered her head, allowing her tufts of a back mane to bristle in what she hoped was a menacing fashion.

"It is not nice to meet you, I don't want to be in youyr foyrest, and good. Go finish youyr byreakfast! Not that it looks like you need it." She let a sneer creep into her voice as she kept up the menacing posture.

Maybe after the large one was gone long enough, she could follow along in her tracks and see if there were any berries left...
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer

Post by RikkuGirl »

Waltz stopped in her tracks as the overy annoyed misery began to freak out. Her comments to Waltz caused her head to hang low. Waltz felt a tear come from her eye as she turned and looked at the two once more.

"I was just tyrying to be nice. Both of you need to wake up and get oveyr youyr pyroblems with otheyrs. And you" She stared at the little misery who was putting up such a fuss.

"Youyr too young and small to be making such huge demands and comments. Next time you go to be yrude to some one, make suyre they dont have something you NEED. I may be pudgy but YOUYR stayrving. At least I can live long enough to deal with my pyroblem. Dont botheyr me when youyr on your last string. I dont pay kindly to those who are mean foyr no yreason."

Her tone was sour and truthful. She had gotten bombarded by the two for no reason. She had done nothing but walk over to see what was happening, only to be yelled at. Acused of entering a forest that has no owner, being made fun of because she is larger, and being told to leave because of it.

"I was GOING to show you wheyre to get some food but im afyraid youyr yrude welcome and youyr disyrespectful tone have caused me to lose my apetite. Enjoy youyr company togetheyr... you both ayre yrude enough to be fryiends"

Waltz stuck her head up and started to waltz away. She did not want to take any part of these two. They were mean, disrespectful and rude. She had other nice friends to make elsewhere. She snorted through her nose and turned to leave.
My Sams!

Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey

Post by Jennalyn »

((I apologize, but I think that my muse for this thread has officially left me. <3 Young Misery is harder for me to channel now that she's grown.))