Losing Weight!

Talk about anything you want here.
Codress
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Any with wings! ^_^

Losing Weight!

Post by Codress »

Woot woot! Started weight watchers a month ago and lost 17.9 lbs already! My goal is to loose 100+. Any help or suggestion please let us know on here. ^_^
Wanted to tell my friends on here and also wanted to see if anyone else has any goals they have been going for and on the road to achieving weather it is weight goal or drawing and so on.

We can encourage eachother!! ^_^
Puuka
Fluffy
Fluffy
Favorite Sam species: Healer, Illiyar, Rider

Re: Losing Weight!

Post by Puuka »

Yay! Good for you! That's awesome!
I started weight watchers a couple of months ago and have a similar weight loss goal. I've lost about 20lbs so far. :D

So far I've cut out sugar soda completely as well as snackie type foods (replaced them with unsweet tea and oranges and carrots for snacks) and have decreased my portion sizes quite a bit. Now I just have to try to eat out less and get some more excercise. XD
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Post by Sushidragon »

Congrats to both of you, that's awesome :D

I need to lose about 30lbs but for the past year I haven't had any luck budging that number o_x Now that I'm mostly over the plague I'm back to exercising and I need to cut out the Starbucks (sob) and unhealthy snacks (sob sob). I'm Linzon on MyFitnessPal if anyone else is on there, I know I've got a couple folks from the forum already :D
Image Image

Current icon by Plaguedog
SilverDapples
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Deserts and Sa'Grisayrs!

Post by SilverDapples »

Gosh you guys, that's pretty great! My mom and I did Nutrisystem, but she just couldn't handle the food after three months (I on the other hand didn't even care XD) so she nixed that. I don't think I learned (or lost!) anything from the experience XD
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Echos
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Desert

Post by Echos »

Whoo congrats on the progress Silver!

I highly recommend MyfitnessPal - I'm happy to help you get set up as I don't recommend always following the algorithm the website uses.

I also recommend getting a pedometer or if you'd rather use our phone - the free app Pacer. Try to get those daily steps up to 10,000. Though I usually range between 7k-10k :P

EDIT: I'm Echos on myfitnesspal and plan to get back on the wagon on Monday. I'm less trying to lose weight and more trying to drop my BF% to around 20%.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer
Favorite Sam species: Butterfly Sams

Post by RikkuGirl »

I'm so proud of you sissy! Keep up the good work. :) YOu know i'm behind you 1000000000000%!!!!! <33333

Congrats to all of you on your progress and plans, it is never easy to do a diet. I have been doing the Paleo diet for about 3-4 months and I have lost 38lbs and I did nothing but eat and walk my dob like I normally do. ^_^ It's amazing! hard but amazing. Cut out carbs and sugar and it just falls off. Dont starve yourself, eat... but just the right stuff. It worked for me! Though, everyone is different and need to find out what works best for them.

I just joined the gym myself, so hopefully I'll lean up once I start going on a regular basis.

Good job you all! and you can do it if you want! Will power!
My Sams!

Im a Chicken... Moooooo! D:
Codress
Mystery
Mystery

Post by Codress »

Woot woot nice to know me and rikku arent the only ones! ^_^

Wtg to all on the ptogress but lets see if wr can help eachother do better! I BELIEVE in you all and KNOW you can do it!!!

I'm at 17.9 lbs gone now! So woot woot. ^_^
LvSoulFriend
Song Wrangler
Song Wrangler
Favorite Sam species: Mystic

Post by LvSoulFriend »

Be careful on the Paleo diet (and any diet high in proteins!), too much protein will cause you to start producing acetone, you can smell it on your breath, and it's toxic to humans.

Honestly, we don't actually need very much protein a day >> Mostly complex carbs (ones that take a while to digest!) and fruit and veggies (aka natural sugars and fibers)! Exercise is good too!

Speaking of exercise, I need to get back to doing that >> Haven't been to the gym in a year, and my muscles have gotten flabby XP
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer

Post by RikkuGirl »

Every study says differently however acetone isn't what is made Lv, Ketones (pieces for repair of muscles)are. They give off an acetone like effect/smell in the urine and breath if not used to repair muscles. This is only dangerous to people who have failing or diminishing kidneys pre-diet.

High protien low carb diets cause bad breath if excessive amounts of protien are consumed (shakes/powder, etc), next to no carbs are consumed (ONLY protien) and they are dehydrated. The build-up of ketones lines the cells of your body which produces an odor. Proper exercise, hydration and hygene fixes all of that. If that smell does start, just meand they need to incorporate more veggies/fruits than protiens. Need to find the balance for YOUR body.

I have looked into the diet and it's draw backs. I eat a balanced amount of protiens with veggies and fruits. I cut out complex carbs like pasta, flour based items and white potatoes (which you do NOT need to survive. Complex carbs -the ones that take a long time to digest - are only good when used with high exercise. Seditary people should NOT eat lots of complex carbs... this is why americans are so large. Complex carbs are ALWAYS stored as fat unless you have a highly active diet..). It is eating as if you were stranded without the luxury of home.

Most of my diet is raw finger food (Nuts, veggies, fruits and protien slices). I introduced rice into my diet though as a subtle carb intake and because I love it too much. You do need some carbs to survive but all in all we should truly be omnivores and eat a balanced diet. However, to get to a good weight you may have to dedicate and do some hard work. If you want it you can get it!!

thank you for the care Lv, and the awesome praise of everyone else. You are all able to achieve your goals and I believe in you!!! Good luck and thank you all again. :)
My Sams!

Codress
Mystery
Mystery

Post by Codress »

That is interesting thank you rikku for the info, was a little concerned on the acetone stuff but that helps and looked up some on my own as well. ^_^

Hope everyone is still working good on your goals. I lost another pound. XD so in total 18 lbs lost. Woot woot!

Remember to keep at it and I believe in you ALL!!!
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer

Post by RikkuGirl »

Congrats sissy!

Ya, too much of anything can be a bad thing. Congrats on 18! That is awesome. :) You can keep it up! Stick to your stuff and dont stop.

I am thinking of getting a shake weight... I have very flabby arms right now.

Has anyone ever got one of these... and do they work? Also.. Do they really appear as ridiculous looking to use as they seem? Lol

Thank you! :D
My Sams!

Echos
Mystery
Mystery

Post by Echos »

No they are really dumb - just get a regular set of free weights (5-10lbs when starting). Much more versatile, so much more effective and you're not paying extra for the novelty.

If you've never done weight training before I recommend 5lbs weights and starting with 5 reps of each exercise 3 times. Your first goal should be getting up to where you can do 10 reps 3x times each.

For beginners these are the exercises I would start with:

Shoulders:
Front Raise
Lateral Raise
Shoulder Press

Biceps:
Bicep Curl

Triceps:
One or Two Arm Tricep Extension (seated) - FIND A SPOTTER, if you can't do tricep dips

Back:
Knelling One Arm Row

Chest:
Dumbell Fly

Forearms (do these with 1-3lb weights):
Wrist Curl

Do 5 reps of each exercise all the way through, then repeat set 3 times. Go slowly, take your time and focus on making use you are doing the exercise correctly. This should be hard but doable when you first start.

Rest for 10 seconds between each muscle group - i.e try to do all the shoulder exersizes without a break in between. If you need to rest for 5 seconds between each exercise. Don't rest between reps. Rest for 30 seconds to a minute between each set.

This should take you about 15-30 minutes to do all the way through. Rest for 2 days between workouts to give your muscles time to recover. If you want to you do a leg workout on your rest days.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer

Post by RikkuGirl »

Echos... I could just kiss you!!! :D

Thank you so much. You are awesome. I needed to get some kind of simple information of a place to start. All of the websites and stuff are so in depth and I honestly just wanted a simple plan to start with and expand from there and YOU my dear, just gave me a great one. ^o^

I'm so excited. I am going to start doing this at home! I am not familiar with free weights at all and I am a bit scared of using them. Over extension is probably one of my biggest scares. I will be sure to not over do it.

I got to look up the proper way to do each of these. :3

Thank you thank you!
My Sams!

Echos
Mystery
Mystery

Post by Echos »

No worries, weights can be super intimidating. I started using them about 3 years ago but I got a really good friend, who is an EMT, major fitness buff and ex-model to take me to the gym, show me what was what and help me come up with a workout I could do without another person. He's awesome.
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer

Post by RikkuGirl »

Ya. Losing weight is NOT easy. I lucked out and have my friend Braddy who will help me at the gym. Not only am I clueless... but I'm also super nervous because all of the people there are so defined and buff already and I'm so flabby... :I Leaves a sour taste in your mouth. Then I get worried I'm doing something wrong or too much...

I guess I shouldn't care too much what others think or say but I just dont like the stares. o:
My Sams!

Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Post by Sushidragon »

Thanks for that, Echos! I really need to get into strength training as well as cardio.

I started wearing my Fitbit just over a year ago and I've logged 3,087,269 steps O_O That's nuts! Unless I'm sick or spectacularly lazy/busy I tend to hit my 10k target every day and often go over, and it's awesome seeing how it all adds up over time. It's really gotten me more active and aware of my activity level and I definitely attribute it to keeping off the 20lbs I lost early last year. Now that I'm continuing to be active and also watching what I eat that number's already going down again!
Image Image

Codress
Mystery
Mystery

Post by Codress »

Congrats sushi that is awesome! Yes ty Echos that is very good information i will have to look into that also. ^_^

I hope all dont think I'm bragging when i post my loss just excited to getting healthier been over weight for too long. >. < Had someone tell me at work i was showing off and was like that is NOT what im going for just want the support from my friends and ppl i care and like. So ty ty all for the suggestions and support it helps soooooo much! HUGGLES ^_^
Codress
Mystery
Mystery

Post by Codress »

As of today I have lost 23lbs.
*does happy dsnce with fingers in the air!*

This just works for me and I'm going all the wayyyy!

How is everyone rlse doing on their goals?
Bighorns
Mystic
Mystic

Post by Bighorns »

Congratulations!
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer

Post by RikkuGirl »

YAY!!!! Congrats sissy!!! ^o^ That is awesome! I'm so proud of you! Keep it up!

Have you been changing anything in particular? What seems to work for you? :3
My Sams!

Codress
Mystery
Mystery

Post by Codress »

Eating more vegetables and drinking a lot from jucies and tea and so on. The veggies have been the interesting/fun part. Different ways to prepare them and combination. ^_^

@Rikku: what about you?
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Post by Sushidragon »

Whoo, way to go, Codress :D

I've been tracking what I eat for two weeks now and have been nicely on track.. except for Sunday (come on, it was Mother's Day!) so we'll call that a cheat day, I guess XD Been keeping up with my exercise too. Mr Sushi has hidden the scale from me until Friday so I don't know how I'm doing weight-wise, but I'm feeling good and that's the important part!

One big change is that I've replaced nachos (melted cheese on tortilla chips with salsa and hot yogurt dip) with 'sad nachos' (cucumbers and/or romaine lettuce with salsa and hot yogurt dip) as a snack XD
Image Image

Echos
Mystery
Mystery

Post by Echos »

Ugg intern send off party today at work. Thank god no one else leaves till July. So much cake and I have no willpower when it's sitting in front of me. I only manage healthy by getting all of it out of the house.
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Post by Sushidragon »

Echos wrote:Ugg intern send off party today at work. Thank god no one else leaves till July. So much cake and I have no willpower when it's sitting in front of me. I only manage healthy by getting all of it out of the house.
Oh, ditto! If there is cake it must be eaten XD When I want to do some baking I tend to send the rest of it to work with Mr Sushi so that it doesn't magically disappear (into my belly).
Image Image

Echos
Mystery
Mystery

Post by Echos »

College was great for that. I bake as stress relief and all I had to do was send a text around saying Free Brownies and I'd have six-ten guys happy to take whatever I'd made off my hands.

I miss my guys.