Talk about anything you want here.
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Favorite Sam species: Sa'grisayr

Re: Need Someone to Talk At?

Post by silvermoondragon »

How about this:

Advice on how to stop being so distracted by the internet! It's way too easy to say "oh, I'll only just check this site for a few seconds and then get back to studying", and then an hour later you're still 'checking' that site, or a different one, or twenty others...
Nako
Samanayr
Samanayr

Post by Nako »

silvermoondragon wrote:How about this:

Advice on how to stop being so distracted by the internet! It's way too easy to say "oh, I'll only just check this site for a few seconds and then get back to studying", and then an hour later you're still 'checking' that site, or a different one, or twenty others...

The only thing that stops me is to actually shut down the computer XD Then put it in another room.
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Favorite Sam species: Sa'grisayr

Post by silvermoondragon »

Very good advice, however the only problem with that... is I have all my notes on my computer. No computer = no studying.
I find if the class has given out practice problems to do(with answers so I can check mine), it's a lot easier to focus because I have something to do, but when you are just reading over note/making more notes from notes, it's just so hard to keep on track.
amazondreamer
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Northern Aquatic

Post by amazondreamer »

Perhaps plan internet breaks? Set yourself goals (either cover a certain amount of material or study for a certain amount of time) then when you reach your goal set up a timer (preferably a few feet away from your computer) for 15 minutes or half an hour for "me time" on the internet. When the timer goes off you have to get up and walk away from the computer to shut it off. Then you can close the browsers you were working on and get back to studying.

If you write down your goals and your schedule it might be easier to stick to them. If you just hold onto it in your head then I find it easier to put in some mental wiggle room. Good luck! This is a really tricky issue to struggle with

Edit: a more extreme solution might be to cut your internet connection from the computer (temporarily), if your notes are offline. I don't recommend this, since it might lead to more obsessing about what you could be "missing". You could also print off your notes in hard copy and then go somewhere to study (coffee shop, library, public park etc), not cost effective but might save you time.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image