Right... so...

Talk about anything you want here.
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer
Favorite Sam species: Butterfly Sams

Right... so...

Post by RikkuGirl »

I come home yesterday to run 1 hole freakin mile! Im so proud of myself. In total i have lost over 65 lbs !! I used to be 260lbs, and now im at a comfortable 211. I gained back some lbs, so i guess i only lost 50 or so when you think about it. BUT STILL! Thats a HUGE difference.

Im not a small girl, by far. Im 6'1 and i weigh 211lbs as of now. Ive started to go running with my friend jose for the past few weeks and just doesnt seem to be doing much for me, not like it used to.

Im thinking of swimming and doing other such activities that actually work out, MY ENTIRE BODY. You see... im lazy, and I dont like to do ANYTHING, except sams and wow that is ;), but still... im lazy. I need to know of some lazy man/woh!man Excersizes that i could to do still see results but do what i have to do too...

I dont mine LONG activities, so if it takes a while to do it, im ok with that. I dont like to get TOO sweaty, the occasional.. ok, but hard core monsoon lagoon, its raining on your head... NO... Cant do it. lol

I about died from 1 mile! lol I need your help guys! Share your work out knowledge and what has worked for you and why. Ill throw in some of my technices that helped me lose the weight without ever even moving myself forward. lol Yay for laziness! :3

So... got a work out? : )
My Sams!

Im a Chicken... Moooooo! D:
iforgotmybirthday1
Yearling
Yearling

Re: Right... so...

Post by iforgotmybirthday1 »

hmm well... running is the best work out you can possibly do to get lean. i'm training for a half marathon right now so if you need any help as far as planning run days i can help you. the best way to burn fat during a run is to run longer and slower (when you run fast it's more aerobic than fat burning). You might want to try running late at night or early in the morning to make it easier so it's not too hot.
Swimming is more of a strength work out than anything. It's not a good way to burn fat, but if you're looking to build muscles (one of the only work outs that builds great muscle in your arms) it's a good work out.
You should also try spinning! But, it makes you sweat like CRAZY! It's a great cardio work out that allows you to burn around 1000 calories in an hour! Endurance rides are the best for fat burning.
I don't know if you'll have anything like this at your gym... but I also go to a bodypump class twice a week. It's a work out that combines fat burning with muscle building by lifting weights in fast intervals (and it's super fun!)...
I hope this helps! Congrats on your weight loss thus far! That's a great achievement
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer

Post by RikkuGirl »

:D Thanks so much for your input. I would do cycling but there really isnt a gym around that im too fab about.

im trying to do it without spending money on classes and such, as my bf is outa a job at the moment *cries*

BUT! Im still going to do my best :3 So im going to keep running as well. I was also reading online and they say stopping and going again actually helps to burn more calories faster, because of the energy it takes to get your body moving again. What do you think about that?

^_^ Thanks again! :D *and good luck on your marathon!! :)*
My Sams!

iforgotmybirthday1
Yearling
Yearling

yea that definitely works really well.. I just HATE interval runs though. I find them nearly impossible to get through! I usually do my interval runs with quarter mile repeats (run a quarter walk a quarter). I think it makes it so much harder after walking for a nice while to have to start running again.. yuck! But, of course it's a great way to boost/lower your heart rate... and burn fat. Just make sure you don't walk to slow because you don't want your heart rate to get too low (and also it's easier to run again after a fast walk).
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Post by Sushidragon »

Ultimate Frisbee! I know I keep going on and on about it, but it's a great workout and I love it XD You do a lot of running around, but you're also dodging and throwing and blocking so the rest of your body gets some action too. One summer I was playing twice a week, two or three hours a session, and lost 10 pounds like nothing XD

Congrats on the weightloss too, that is awesome :D I'm trying to lose some weight right now too, although I've pretty much given up trying to eat completely healthily until the convention is over XD

@iforgotmybirthday1 - Wow, good luck on the half-marathon! I imagine that takes a lot of training XD
Image Image

Current icon by Plaguedog
Echos
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Desert

Post by Echos »

Getting into a team sport is always a good idea cause then there are other people there to motivate you. I agree with Sushi, ultimate Frisbee is a great arobic sport and will get you in shape fast. You might also want to try tennis. Its really fun and uses a suprising number of muscles and energy to play. You should look into seeing if any local parks have free courts or clubs and just find someone to play with for an hour maybe two to three times a week.

As far as swimming goes if you have the ability to push yourself without help it works well. In order to really benefit from it you need to be swimming at a speed that challanges you but you can maintain for an hour to three hours. You'd also need to be swimming multiple times per week (2 minimum, daily is better). I tried getting into a personal swim workout for a bit but just couldn't keep it together. I ended up joining a team in the end and had a blast and now don't have much trouble swimming on my own but I really needed that experiance to know how much I should push myself to get results. There is also the problem that a lot of pools have limited lap hours or pool fees.

If you are interested in swimming I'd be happy to help you come up with a lap workout.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Bright Promise
Lamanayr
Lamanayr

Post by Bright Promise »

Wow! Ultimate congratulations! I've been trying to lose weight as well but only a few pounds ^-^ My best advice is from my Physical Therapist. You need 20 mins of activity with your heart pumping to start burning calories and it's only after 45 mins do you start to change your metabolism.

I am hypoglycemic and she gave me this advice because she too used to be hypoglycemic. After I started a regiment of going at least 45 mins on the treadmill every few days, I've noticed that I don't have as many light-headed spells and don't have to eat as often. I've also lost 7lbs! I am also careful with what I eat and follow a restricted calorie diet rich in fiber and fruits and veggies and I cut out a lot of red meat and instead eat fish (makes me feel like UGH after eating.)

If you're interested in calorie tracking http://LiveStrong.com and http://dailyburn.com/ have great resources (and are free) to track your exercises and your foods easily so you can get a good idea about how much you're consuming and burning.

There have also been studies released recently that talk about sometimes excessive gym time isn't a good thing because it makes us hungry and then we go home and eat more. So just be aware of that if you're adding in a lot of exercise you still have to watch how much you eat.
iforgotmybirthday1
Yearling
Yearling

Bright Promise also has a good point.. cutting out red meat! I try not to give out advice like that because I'm vegan and I don't want to be "that crazy activist." But, I'm definitely NOT naturally skinny.. I was never huge... but never skinny. When I turned vegetarian I lost almost all of my fat.. and even more after I gave up dairy! :)
Bright Promise
Lamanayr
Lamanayr

Post by Bright Promise »

Yeah, dairy is "supposedly" bad for your system too but I am addicted to cheese, milk and ice cream. I wish I had enough will power to become a vegan but alas.

Also, I should have specified that red meat makes me feel ugg, not fish! LOL I love fish. :-)
shoshee
Yearling
Yearling

Post by shoshee »

There are a lot of exercises that can be done also when watching TV or reading, you would have to find the ones that suit you and your style though. They don't burn a lot of calories but help with toning more. Moving your arms is another way to help burn fat too and can be done quite often while doing many things. Dancing is also good.
ImageImage
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer

Post by RikkuGirl »

:3 Thanks so much guys! :D I LOVE tennis and actually I wa stalking about extreme frisbee the other day! XD

I wanted to pick it up but i dont really have anyone to play with. ^_^;; also the people i WOULD play with are... Sloths. -_o Ill have to see if there is a local place that does it. I know the number to the parks and rec, so ill check that out.

As for red meat, I dont really even eat it as it is... Dunno... I just dont like to eat moo moos. ^_^ Im a Fowl person ;) *wiggles*

I do alot of dancing when I think about it... not as much as before, but I do love to dance. That along with jumping jacks were the main activities that I was doing before, and they seemed to go well... lol

As far as swiming... I dont know if id want to do it EVERYDAY. I do love to swim but im also a troll for comitment with stuff... -_- bad habbit I know. *hides*

^_^ Im going to check into everything yuo guys have said. I really do appreciate the input! :3
My Sams!

CosmicDragon
Mirror Master
Mirror Master
Favorite Sam species: Minayr
Location: Everywhere. And Nowhere. But definitely not Somewhere.

Post by CosmicDragon »

-ducks in-
>.>
My excercise routine? A solid hour of DDR every other day, and walking every other day.
Cause I love DDR and am too cheap and lazy to do anything else. <33
"The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous. And sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles." - 11th Doctor
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer

Post by RikkuGirl »

You know!!... DDR is actually a really good cardio work out if you do it long enough without pausing too often. My sister used to do it and she was ... quite large. But after doing it she shed like 20 lbs if i remember correct.

O.O She was an addict... >_< I would do it sept I dont have money to go to the arcade and im too broke to buy the game and pad.

^_^ But i do enjoy my time at dave and busters... my one on one with the Machine :3
My Sams!

Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey
Favorite Sam species: Kodyla

Post by Jennalyn »

xD Oh man, DDR! I brought my stuff with me to school, as did a friend I made up there. Together we had two Red Octane mats, a PS2 and a PS2 slimline, four games, and she had a mini-TV. We managed to convince our gym teacher that lugging the equipment over and playing was enough exercise to count for the hour or so of gym time we needed for our physical fitness class requirement... and he let us play DDR every other day for a solid hour, switching off, instead! Sooo much fun.

I need to play more. We have two mats at home now and like five games, plus my Mom loves doing it with me, but we just haven't had the energy. Need to fix that.