R.I.P. Stevie Kitty...

Talk about anything you want here.
Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey
Favorite Sam species: Kodyla

R.I.P. Stevie Kitty...

Post by Jennalyn »

We had to put down my little Stevie-kitty today. Stevie Ray Wonder, aka. Weebles. He was my baby, the only cat who's ever bonded to me like that. We had him since he was six weeks old. He died at roughly eight and a half. Far too soon, but we knew we wouldn't have forever with him.

He was our little "walking issue". Always a mess. He'd been born without eyes, completely without them, though it didn't hinder his mobility or function in any way. He's also had bad teeth and gums for as long as I can remember. His testicles never dropped so neutering was a hassle and the vet could only ever find one. He was just... a bit of a mess. But the sweetest little man you could imagine. It was what saved his life.

My Mom's a vet tech at our local animal control facility. He was brought in as a stray at six weeks old, eyeless and skinny and dirty and covered in fleas. All alone. I think someone found him in an alley, just sitting there, lost. At first touch, he rubbed and loved on Mom's hand, so obviously he had not been born in that alley. Someone dumped him there, and someone else found him and brought him in. Unfortunately, we only adopt out kittens at eight weeks or older, so he needed to be put down. It's just how things work.

But Mom couldn't quite bring herself to do it. She stared at him, loving all over her hands and arms, or sitting in the cage quiet as a mouse with his head weaving back and forth like a radar dish, or standing confused while younger kittens played all around him and bumped into him. It was pathetic. It was adorable.

She decided that she couldn't leave him there over the weekend, all alone and with no stimulation, so she brought him home as a weekend foster. Pff. Yeah. We all know how that goes. He'd been here ever since.

In January, he got a sinus infection. We treated it with antibiotics and it would have cycles of intermittent improvement and return. About two weeks ago, fighting this sucker as best we could, we noticed a bit of flesh sticking out of his nose for the first time instead of just mucus. We took him to the vet and they removed a three inch thing from his right nasal passage. Sent it in for biopsy. It turned out to be a polyp, which was the best possible scenario.

Unfortunately, in that time since the removal, he had stopped eating. Eventually stopped drinking. Lost weight rapidly. Wasn't responding to meds. Last night, he became extremely lethargic. We knew it was time.

I bawled my eyes out all night. This was my baby. My baby. He slept with me, he slept on me, he rarely left my room if he had the option to stay in here. My bed was his safety. He would rather be in my lap than anywhere else. He gave me his belly with joy and without reservation. He made wonderful air bread when I rubbed it.

Small kitty. Compact. Adorable. My little man.

We took him in to work this morning and Mom gave him the injection, then put him in my arms so I could sob as he passed. I've started crying again while typing this and I can hardly see through the tears. Good thing I touch type.

He stuck his tongue out as he went, so he died looking about as 'tarded as he came into this world. Which is to say, pretty darn 'tarded.

He could jump at a shaking sugar packet more accurately than a sighted cat, and would always get your fingers if you weren't fast enough. He loved string. Loved us. Loved our Golden Retrievers, both of them.

Loved me. And I loved him so much.

Goodbye, baby. My little Weeble Muffin. I hope it doesn't take you too long to mentally map out your new digs, wherever you are. Play hard at the bridge, my little kitty man. I love you, now and forever.
Origami_Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Favorite Sam species: You mean I have to choose?

Re: R.I.P. Stevie Kitty...

Post by Origami_Dragon »

Oh no, I'm so sorry Jenn. It's just horrible to loose a pet, even when you aren't as tightly bonded with them as you were with your darling. I can't imagine how that must feel... I know it doesn't help, but at least you know he's no longer in pain and that you gave him a much longer happier life than he would have had without you adopting him. He looks so happy in all those pictures, it's clear he was well loved, and loved you all in return.

I never really know what to say at times like this... *offers hugs*
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey
Favorite Sam species: Kodyla

Post by Jennalyn »

It suddenly strikes me as ironic that he was my kitty, but the only bit of me in these pics with him is my foot in the last one. The rest is Mom. Hehe.

Thanks, Ori. *snug* You've said a lot. You really have. And I really appreciate it.
Orasteele
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Misery

Post by Orasteele »

Loosing a pet that has been so close is like loosing a piece of yourself. I can only imagine what you are going through right now. Please know that we are all here for you and are with you during this difficult time. Like Ori said, it looks like he had one heck of a good life - a life that he was given because of your mom and you. He lived well, and that's all you can ask. Hold onto those memories and cherish them. <3
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Favorite Sam species: Sa'grisayr

Post by silvermoondragon »

That's a very touching story and I'm sure he would be proud of your remembrance of him. Even with all of his disabilities, he must have had a wonderful life, all thanks to you and your family.
Eirnae
Lamanayr
Lamanayr
Favorite Sam species: Healer

Post by Eirnae »

Jenn, a part of me has touched the pain I believe you're feeling, but as it's different for everyone, I won't assume that I know exactly what you're going through.

There's a few things I'd like to say, but what I want to do first is thank you for sharing Weebles with us, or more specifically, with me. Due to your posting his pictures and telling his story, Weebles has padded into my heart and curled up beside my memories of Patches and Zee. I like to think that Weebles and Patches will meet at the Rainbow Bridge while they're waiting for us. Maybe they'll even become playmates. Zee was a lovable grumpy loner, so he'll probably just watch from a distance. I won't go into detail about Patches' or Zee's stories here, as this thread is about Weebles. I'll just say that Patches was the first pet I could call fully my own and I loved him, but he wasn't with us for very long. Zee was my boyfriend's cat, but he was also my furry gargoyle, bathside guardian, and shower buddy. Weebles is in good company.

He looks like he had a good life with you and your family. I don't even want to consider how things could have been for Weebles if your mom hadn't brought him home. I'm sure that he's looking down at you all with gratitude and love. Yes, looking. Surely Weebles now can see in the way he never was able to in life, and more.

Weebles is waiting, Jenn. I'm certain of it, as certain as I am that Patches and Zee wait for me. We'll see them again, hon. Until then, they live on in us, and in the hearts of those we share them with. *Pats her own chest* I'll take good care of the small piece you've given me.

Please take all the time you need to mourn, Jenn. I'll keep you and yours my prayers. *HUG*
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Post by Sushidragon »

Oh, what a little sweetie.. he looks like quite the character! Thank you for sharing all of these photos and memories - I don't think he could have found a more caring family and I'm sure his life was full of joy and love. I'm very sorry to hear of his passing, and my thoughts are with you and your family *hugs*
Image Image

Current icon by Plaguedog
Delicious
Mystic
Mystic

Post by Delicious »

So sorry to hear of his passing, Jenn! It sounds like he was quite the love though, and I think it is wonderful that you took him in when he needed someone so very badly. And it sounds like he tried to repay you in love a thousandfold! What a sweetie.

I hear you on the photos though - so many of my fuzzies, I am the one most interested in getting shots of them, thus I am rarely included! But it's still worth it to have a few photographical reminders of the times of they're around - just seeing them, I can remember the snuggles they gave me well enough.
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer
Favorite Sam species: Butterfly Sams

Post by RikkuGirl »

Wow. Im so sorry to hear that had to happen, but I have to say, that was the best Eulogy I have ever seen. I would have been proud to have one like that for my passing. Its obvious he ment alot to you and with out you his life would have been cut way too short.

I bet he smiles down on you with my Lilly (she passed on me last year and it about killed me) up in heaven. She was crazy but i bet she would have gotten along with him just fine. ^___^

*hugs* its hard to lose a pet. I like to remember the fun and crazy times, the ones that you think about and you just cant help but smile. Keep your head up. Youll see him again one day, just like ill see my lilly. *snugs* <3333
My Sams!

Im a Chicken... Moooooo! D: