Birthday - Samanayr Treats Cooking Contest - results!

Contests, games, draws, and other ways to get Sams! Also custom availability.
feyani
Samanayr
Samanayr

Re: Birthday - Samanayr Treats Cooking Contest!

Post by feyani »

!! *Gobbles up this entire thread*

That pie looks SOOO good. *drools all over it*

And the rice krispie treat sam! With all that icing. Nom!

And and and! Foal on a cookie!! -And hah, tell me about how marizpan is hard to work with. *feels your pain*

*feels thousands of cavities form after looking at the thread*
Orasteele
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Misery

Post by Orasteele »

Well my home made marzipan came out too sticky to be easy to mold, but plain old almond paste works just fine even if it isn't as smooth as the marzipan was. Here is my entry. The cake is a white cake, which I used two different sized pans. The rock part is actually the top half of the smaller pan (dyed purple - which is why it is so dark). The water and grass is rainbow-chip icing done with food coloring (note: as delicious as rainbow chip icing is, the chips in it make it difficult to work with). I used brown sugar for the sand around the water, and white sprinkles for the foam where the water hits the lower level.

Both sams are made with a combination of marzipan and colored almond paste. I used food coloring to dye the tips of the one mare's mane and tail, then dotted her with my still dyed fingers. The whole thing is delicious. I had a slice this morning for breakfast! Both moist and flavorful!

RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer
Favorite Sam species: Butterfly Sams

Post by RikkuGirl »

WOW... O___O!!! Dont put mine to shame or anything ora! xD

Wonderful! Just wonderful. :D I LOVE the water with the little white bubble ball thingys xD eeee. So cute. ^_^ and the sams are well done too! Great job!!!!!!
My Sams!

Im a Chicken... Moooooo! D:
Eirnae
Lamanayr
Lamanayr
Favorite Sam species: Healer

Post by Eirnae »

Your entry is adorable, Britain! It's a sam onna cooookie! *Drools* It's so wrong to want to nibble on something so cute. ^.^;

Wowza! Steele, your entry is especially magnificent! I concur that the white froth is a fantastic touch, and the sams are really well done! :)

*Scolds the RikkuGirl* Your entry is awesome too, Rikku, and I'm not being bias. :P I want to adopt Flop of the Frozen Treat! *Scoops up the sketched sam and takes off with her* :D
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer

Post by RikkuGirl »

xD Eirnae! All the other entries put mine to shame!!! xD They are all so wonderfuly done and with so much creativity it just makes me sick with envy!!! O: *steals all your guys' talent and puts it into a jar to keep for ever and ever and ever cause she can muahahahahaahahahaha!!!* O_o;

I was actually going to sketch out what id REALLY like her to look like :3 I jacked a pencil and some white paper from my job O: *shhh dont tells O_O* :D I had wanted to do her with a ice cream cone on her head upside down kinda like a hat.

Her feet would have hair tufts that would look like puddles on the floor to look like spilt icecream. and she would have a cherry tattoo'd on her rump ^_^;; She would have a kinda disgruntled look on her face and she would be white with black dots on her (To look like vanilla bean icecream) with brown swirls in her coat ( to look like caramel) with LARGE brown chunky looking marks (To look like chocolate chunks).

^_________^ That would be flop.
My Sams!

silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Favorite Sam species: Sa'grisayr

Post by silvermoondragon »

Some lovely entries so far... I'm going to pick up my ingredients today, along with my laptop which is finally back from servicing YAY! Then it's on to cooking and of course eating stuff as I go :D I mean, how can you make stuff without sampling the beaters and spoons and such? I just hope I can find all the ingredients I need... I miss being back home with the stores I know my way around and of course the giant bulk section of Save-on-Foods with so much different candy options.

I am excited to be making something artistic out of baking materials other than sushi... It was still fun of course, but I exhausted all my ideas on last year's Sushi Platter I made XD
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer

Post by RikkuGirl »

You can do it silver! :D I cant wait to see what you come up with. ^____^

and YAY for fixed computers!!!! xD
My Sams!

Origami_Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Favorite Sam species: You mean I have to choose?

Post by Origami_Dragon »

Okay...so for my attempt I got a...really weird idea. Which didn't work out as well as I'd hoped, but oh well. It was an interesting experiment. Sort of failed, but I'm posting it anyways so you all can laugh at it too. Anyways...strange idea, right. Was looking at candy and thinking and was suddenly struck by the notion of trying to take Pull n Peel Twizzlers and sort of sculpting them into a Sam, namely Hum since she's red. Yeah...didn't work so well.

She kept trying to all fold out straight again and wouldn't hold her pose very well...

At least in this one her 'antlers' are staying up

So, most of one Twizzler, cut into bits, part of the bits having some of the strands removed to make them bend or fit together better. Unfortunately it all kept wanting to go back into a straight stick with all the strands together, so her hooves wouldn't stay separated out very well and her legs wouldn't go out in front or behind her. The red thing lurking in the background is the plastic knife used to help make her...given Hum's temperament it seemed fitting to let her keep it with her.

Sushi, if this doesn't really count since I didn't make any of the parts for her that's fine. I amused myself for awhile trying to make the candy cooperate and wanted to share anyways. Even if my idea pretty well failed. Was worth trying though!

Just don't let Hum hear you all laugh at this...she might just decide to protest... *checks carefully to make sure Hum is...elsewhere*
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Orasteele
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Misery

Post by Orasteele »

Awwwh! I can see the Hum in it even if it was a difficult medium to work with! <3
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Favorite Sam species: Sa'grisayr

Post by silvermoondragon »

First, I must agree with Origami_Dragon and say, Twizzlers and their brethren are a pain to work with XD

whew... Finally finished buying, baking, making, decorating, and cleaning up after my entry. It may have taken me almost the entire day, but it was an awesome, fun, (and educational) experience. So here it is, my Spirit Cookie pudding display:

So, if you are interested, I can take you along on a photorific journey of my baking experience and how, should you choose, to make a Spirit Cookie of your own.

First off, you need to make the cookies. Any dough is fine, I chose chocolate chip cookie dough as it is my favourite type and the one I seem to make and know the most. Also, according to one of my housemates makes the best cookies ever. I myself prefer the dough to the actual cookies but that's another story... So, usually the cookies come out relatively flat which, when you are trying to make a Spirit Cookie, is not what you are after. Taking this into consideration and the discovery of a muffin/cupcake tin from the last baking experience, I decided to fill up the said muffin/cupcake tin with my dough hoping for the mega cookie I needed.
Image Image
To my delight, it worked rather well, although I ended up with some muffin shaped cookies rather than simply thick rounded cookies I was wanting. The next step, while the cookies cooled off on the rack, was to make the pudding for the display. I made the pudding from scratch as I didn't actually have any instant pudding around, but when making Spirit Cookies, any type of pudding is fine. This step was rather uneventful, and the pudding was in the bowl in no time.
Image Image
So, while the pudding is cooling off in the refrigerator (Do not cover, you want the skin to form on top. Personally, I rather enjoy that skin that forms, but anyway), bring over your now cooled cookies and get out your decorating materials! Next you need to cut the cookie cupcakes into shapes somewhat resembling Spirit and S'qui. Now at this point, I already had some icing made up from a previous project, but you will need to make some (or buy some) if you don't already have some. Use this icing to glue together the cookie shapes and to glue back on any pieces that crumbled off.
Image Image
It's kind of hard to tell in the lighting, but I also colored(and flavored) the icing halfway through with peach drink mix to get the colour fade on Spirit's legs. So after the form is together, you need to ice and decorate as you go, using jelly bean halves as scales, and Twizzler pieces for the hair. This part takes the longest to complete, taking me almost 2 and a half hours. You need to have lots of patience at this point as the candy pieces are quite small and love sticking to your fingers instead of the icing, and if you misplace them, you need to wipe off the icing stuck to them or you lose the candy's look. Also, be quite careful when using the knife. Slicing off a finger would most definitely ruin your Spirit Cookie's look and taste.
Image Image
Once both the Spirit Cookie and S'qui are finished, set them aside for a moment, and bring the pudding back out. Depending on how you want your scene to look, you can use different things to decorate the top. I chose to use chocolate stick things(can't remember what they are called) and these amazingly delicious candy covered chocolate rocks to create a path down the center and then some green sugar and sprinkles on either side to look like grass. This is where that pudding skin comes in handy to prevent all your decorations from sinking into the puddingy depths below.
Image Image
So, once your scene is put together to your satisfaction, it is now time to place your Spirit Cookie onto its final resting place. Make sure to do this carefully as breaking into tears as your creation falls apart would again ruin both your Spirit Cookie's look and taste. Once both the Spirit Cookie and S'qui are finally in place, you can stand back and admire your work, or devour it immediately should you so choose.

I cannot yet say how everything as a whole tastes as I was so full after eating all the various stages such as leftover cookie dough, pudding left in the bowl, excess candy bits, etc. that I didn't even have dinner yet. I also didn't really have the heart to eat it quite yet... So much work to be eaten so quickly... But I'm sure it tastes awesome and I will probably start attacking it tomorrow.
silverfoxkit
Yearling
Yearling

Post by silverfoxkit »

My cooking contest entry XD What i decided to make today is a Mochi Daifuku Ice Cream :D it's a Japanese treat that is basically ice cream in a sweet bun XD

and to incorporate Samanayrs birthday to it, i decided to paint little sams on them with black food coloring, so it would still be edible XD

here is the recipe i used
* 1 cup shiratama-ko (glutinous rice flour)
* 1 1/3 cup sugar
* 2/3 cup water
* *For filling
* Vanilla ice cream
* *katakuriko (potato starch) or corn starch for dusting

Preparation:
Put water and sugar in a heat-resistant bowl and mix well. Add shiratama-ko flour in the bowl and mix well. Cover with plastic wrap and heat it in microwave for two minutes. Stir the dough. Heat it again in microwave until the dough inflates. Stir the mochi quickly. Dust a flat pan with some katakuri-ko or corn starch. Also, dust hands with some katakuri-ko. Remove the hot mochi from the bowl to the pan by hands. *The mochi is hot and sticky, so be careful not to burn your hands. Dust the mochi with katakuri-ko starch and spread it into a large rectangle. Cut it into small circles, using a biscuit cutter. Let the round mochi cool. Put a scoop of hard frozen ice cream on a mochi piece and wrap it by stretching mochi. Wrap it in plastic wrap. Repeat the process to make more pieces. Freeze the mochi ice cream and serve them frozen.
*Makes 10-12 daifuku.

How it turned out >.> very messy XD

my pics
Image Image Image Image
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer

Post by RikkuGirl »

OMG! WOW!!!!! Silvermoon that is amazing! O: and Silverfox those are so cute xD

Wow just wow im at a loss of words for all of these entries. I feel sorry for sushi cause she has to judge! O:
My Sams!

Janalee
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Healer

Post by Janalee »

*grins sheepishly as she brings out her entry* I really should have taken pictures of all the previous failed attempts, so everyone could see that this one isn't...so bad. ^^ Anyway, I tried to make Trace of the Copper Horizon into a Popsicle; the blue is blue raspberry juice, the orange is an orange and grapefruit mixture, and the 'black' is blueberry cranberry. The first picture is of the Popsicle in the mold I made, so it kind of makes sense...and the second is my attempt to take it out of it. *smirks* He actually came out better than I expected- I only lost the tip of his horn initially- but the heat here melted his horns completely and made his tail break off before I could take a picture.

If my flight makes it back in time, maybe I'll add a shaved ice version too from all the colored ice cubes I first tried to make him out of...but, I guess this should do for now, even if it makes me laugh. XD
cassiadawn
Lamanayr
Lamanayr

Post by cassiadawn »

Just don't have time to get really fancy this time (which is a shame, since I always have such fun with the cooking contests!) but I wanted to at least enter something. :D

So I give to you... marshmallow sam!

Image Image

He's made of mini-marshmallows, held together by icing sugar and toothpicks. He has mini chocolate chip hooves, and blue decorator gel for foot tufts and eyes. His mane and tail are made of rolled out marshmallows, dyed with thin icing and brown food coloring.

He's not modeled after any particular Sam. Being made from marshmallows, I imagine he's got the pudgy trait. :lol: And is there a tail spines trait? Because his mane and tail really ended up looking more like spikes than hair. *L*
LakotaWolf
LOL WUT

Post by LakotaWolf »

HOLY CRAP I ALMOST MISSED THE DEADLINE EVEN THOUGH I'VE HAD MY ENTRY DONE FOR TWO DAYS.

-----------------------------------------

Okay, here we go XD

SAMANAYR "MODEL" USED:
Mew of the Full Beast -

INGREDIENTS:
Fondant on top of homemade chocolate cupcakes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fondant

...and yes, Mew is my Traffic Cone + Volkswagen Eurovan cross XD

PICS!:

Now with 100% more Username!

PROCESS:
I made the fondant myself, following this recipe:
http://thecookduke.com/fondant-recipe/ ...so it was DELICIOUS D: Far tastier than any store-bought fondant I've ever tried!

I hand-colored it myself (since it starts out white) using Wilton icing coloring. It took me two hours just to get the fondant the colors I wanted it to be! And it made my arms turn into weak noodles from all the kneading I had to do XD

I next made chocolate cupcakes and cut two of them down into cylinders for the "base" of Mew's body. I rolled out a chunk of the blue fondant and draped it over the base, and then trimmed off the excess. Of course, life doesn't always work out the way we want it to, and I am no expert at working with fondant. In fact, this was my first time. x_x

So of course I learned the hard way that fondant does not "smooth" or "connect" well to other bits of fondant, unlike clay XD

Next, I took another cut-down cupcake cylinder (bite-sized and delicious!) and wrapped it in orange fondant for the next section of the body. I did the same for the white section above it, using a smaller cylinder. The neck and head are formed entirely out of fondant, as are the limbs/mane/tail. His goggles are also fondant :3 ...in fact, pretty much EVERYTHING is fondant XD I even rolled fondant into thin "posts" to use to attach his limbs!

I hand-made every strand of his mane and tail and attached them with water (water makes fondant stick).

The "window" markings are gray fondant (I used a few drops of black icing color paste to make gray) with black gel icing around them.

Fondant is INCREDIBLY hard to work with, and I have a new appreciation for cakemakers who make it look so fabulous. XD I kind of thought it would be as easy to work with as a Sculpey-type clay, but boy was I wrong. It's sticky as all get-out, so you have to wear gloves or keep dusting powdered sugar all over your hands and the fondant (although this adds to its eventual deliciousness!) It dries out quickly so you have to keep it covered with a damp cloth, but the damp cloth makes it stickier, plus it leaches out the color. XD Fondant is very stiff even after you knead it a while, so it really tires out the hands. Professional cakemakers are AMAZING, I bow down to their skill @_@;

Still, I guess Mew isn't bad for a first attempt at working with fondant XD

I'll be snacking on Mew tonight - I didn't get to see my boyfriend yesterday and I wanted to let him see Mew before I sliced him into delicious bits XD Also, I guess I'll share with my boyfriend >:{

"Don't eeeeeeat meeeeeeeee!"

MOAR PICS:

http://splintyr.com/artdump/fondantsam/onaplate.jpg
http://splintyr.com/artdump/fondantsam/ ... _head3.jpg
http://splintyr.com/artdump/fondantsam/ ... _head4.jpg
http://splintyr.com/artdump/fondantsam/detail_hair.jpg
http://splintyr.com/artdump/fondantsam/front.jpg
http://splintyr.com/artdump/fondantsam/front2.jpg
http://splintyr.com/artdump/fondantsam/front3.jpg
http://splintyr.com/artdump/fondantsam/side1.jpg
http://splintyr.com/artdump/fondantsam/side3.jpg
http://splintyr.com/artdump/fondantsam/detail_side.jpg
http://splintyr.com/artdump/fondantsam/ ... hooves.jpg
http://splintyr.com/artdump/fondantsam/closeup_head.jpg
http://splintyr.com/artdump/fondantsam/ ... _face2.jpg
http://splintyr.com/artdump/fondantsam/closeup_face.jpg

Here's what he was SUPPOSED to look like, all smooth and awesome... XD
::fail::

Image Image
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer

Post by RikkuGirl »

*crosses fingers that she can get stealing. Or that whoever does get stealing would consider putting her into Mishciefs song Xo It would be so perfect. Stealing + Mischief = Thief O: Zomgosh*dies*
My Sams!

Delicious
Mystic
Mystic

Post by Delicious »

Rainbow Hotspring Cakelets! :D

Had far too much fun doing this. Basically put together a series of 3 mini tiered cakes ('cause a full grown one is too much for little ol' me to eat, and well - there are too few people around these parts that want to eat cake! Is sad!). They are yellow butter cake, iced with chocolate caramel ganache (which is ever so lovely, but making ones own caramel is a bit of a bear D:), and then decorated with coconut shavings, colored icing & a fondant Glint of the Ice Prism. 'Cause I figured he'd be the one who'd want to survey everything.

Everything, save the bamboo spears serving as tree trunks, is edible! The fondant is marshmallow, so it is taaaasty. Even though I've not quite brought myself to nom on Glint yet. The chocolate icing is decadent (and one of my favorites - PM if you want the recipe!), and the cake - being a new recipe I was trying out - was rather lovely too! A sort of chewy yellow butter cake. The rest of the icing I don't eat - it tastes like pure sugar, but if someone LIKED that, they surely could. My pups will probably end up with a tree each. Tee hee.

I took a couple of as-I-work shots, but then my phone got too full... so I kinda stopped. Got out my real camera for the finished shots, hope you enjoy! (I know -I- am, ohm nom nom!!)

1. Here I've pulled out the circular sheet cake, and started on the royal icing trees. I had to make the trees several hours in advance 'cause otherwise they would not have dried in time to put up. I made more than I need ... 'cause I have a habit of breaking at least half of them.

2.Cutting the cake! The size I decided I wanted each of the individual layers to be. :) I used a medium sized circular cookie cutter, hehe. Definitely a very "crumby" cake! ... but oh so tasty!

3. Skip a few steps like assembling the mini cakes, making Glint, and icing things... and POOF! is a Rainbow hotsprings cake! All the "color" is painted on using icing food coloring gel, and left me with some rather colorful fingers! The rainbow is made of Royal icing supported by bamboo and wax paper backing - and all the trees are made of green tinted royal icing with bamboo skewer trunks.

The rainbow pool flows down from the original rainbow on the top tier, coated in chocolate meant to look more "earthy", and pools at the base amidst the green tinted coconut shavings - which represent grass of course. Tee hee. Glint, made of marshmallow fondant, looks on from the next to last tier - wondering where all the other Sams are!

Glint in all his marshmallow-y glory! Complete with kirin scales, ears and horn - and even having a rainbow tufted tail and rainbow-y mane! :D I do not know if I will eat him, possibly he will just live in my freezer forever and become it's own personal popsicle mascot. :)
LakotaWolf
LOL WUT

Post by LakotaWolf »

::worships Delicious's fondant/royal icing crafting skills::

I want to take one tiny lick of Glint's nose, he's adorable XD Love how you made his scales!
Image Image
Britain
Valentine Key
Favorite Sam species: Northern!

Post by Britain »

Lakota: You're amazing, for working with fondant. One of the girls i work with took the Wilton decorating course (she makes fondant with marshmellows, omfg delishus). She wasn't at work one day when we had a party, but had left a cake. I had to separate the layers so we could cut it...NIGHTMARE. Fondant is stickier than anything I've ever touched. @_@ Love, love your entry. XD

Delicious: WAH. Your hotspring looks amazing!
LakotaWolf
LOL WUT

Post by LakotaWolf »

Britain - when I cleaned up the night I made Mew, I found bits of fondant stuck EVERYWHERE XD There were some on the bottoms of my feet! @_____@

...I ate some of the bits that stuck to my shirt >_>;
Image Image
Britain
Valentine Key
Favorite Sam species: Northern!

Post by Britain »

*loves fondant* I understand that storebought is crap, but the handmade I've had is sooooo good. YAY STICKY.
LvSoulFriend
Song Wrangler
Song Wrangler
Favorite Sam species: Mystic

Post by LvSoulFriend »

Last minute entry!

Hum at Christmas time! *flees*

Frosting, Fig Newton, raspberry flavor, and sprinkles XD
AranelSaraphim
Mystic
Mystic

Post by AranelSaraphim »

Uh oh, I posted mine in the PI thread...does that mean I'm out?

Well, I'll post my picture here too so you guys here can see it - I know it's past the deadline.

Can I tell you that sculpting cake is so not easy?? Tasty...but not easy. lol

This is "Slumber of the Sweet Spectrum" Cake

Origami_Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Favorite Sam species: You mean I have to choose?

Post by Origami_Dragon »

*stuffs leftover Twizzlers into Hum's mouth before she can start grumbling about being recreated in food form again*

There are some amazing cakes posted here! Good luck to all! I don't envy Sushi the judging of this contest...going to be a tough call with all the confectionery artworks we've seen!
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Delicious
Mystic
Mystic

Post by Delicious »

Eee, everyone's entry is so _neat_ :D

Aranael - cake sculpting is HARD! I am impressed! What is the mane made out of? It is very fluffy!

And Lakota - I think yer fondant skills trump mine. XD Glint was tinyish - only about 3in high - so I didn't need to put NEAR as much work into structural support like yours! I am rather fond of him though, I am not sure I can eat him, tasty though he might be!

I had never actually futzed with fondant before - mine is bought from a local supply shop, but I think it is made on site. It comes in little clear plastic baggies with a paper label. It was... much tastier than I thought it'd be. I mean, it's no dark chocolate ganache, but it's definitely not something I'd spit out like some of the other icings out there!

And yes! Fondant is STICKY! And it gets harder faster than I thought it would! I cheated with Glint, since I am the only one who is allowed to eat him, and to get some of the little pieces to stick ... I licked them. <.< >.> He didn't seem to mind.