Naming Fun!

Your place to discuss very serious Samanayr-related issues. Because Samanayrs are always serious. Always.
Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey
Favorite Sam species: Kodyla

Naming Fun!

Post by Jennalyn »

I know that there are a few different opinions when it comes to naming foals. :3 Some people like to incorporate the parents' names directly, carrying words through the family. Some like to incorporate them loosely, going off the meaning of the name and finding similar words. Some don't worry about the parents at all and just go with the foal's name as a standalone.

I also know that people sometimes have a lot of trouble with naming! I personally find that going off the parents as a springboard helps give me direction with that, and I've been asked to help with naming a couple times (which I always have a blast with). So I figured I'd briefly share my naming process with people in the hopes of sparking some ideas.

Likewise, if you find another method really works well and comes up with spectacular names for your foals, please share it! I am so up for new naming resources. :3

---

I'm going to use these lovely little angry-babies as an example. Normally I wait until adulthood to get a better feel for their personality. I always start with the parents, though, because it squees me to see name bits carried down through generations in my lineage trees.

Mystic of the Yawning Deep x Glacier of the Steady Seas

So - Deep/Depths, Yawn, Glacier/Glacial, Steady/Steadfast, Sea

All of those are really good tie-ins to mum 'n dad for me. I usually try to throw both of them in there, although I've been known to just go with one sometimes for magical species like Mystics because you have slightly less flexibility. I end up with lists like this:

Mystic of the Steadfast ___
Mystic of the Glacial ___
Mystic of the ___ Deep
Depths of the Glacial ___
Yawn of the ___ Deep

And then I open up thesaurus.com and have a field day!

Mystic of the Steadfast ___ (Plummet)
Mystic of the Glacial ___ (Twilight, Expanse, Fathom, Chasm)
Mystic of the ___ (Briny, Plummeting, Hidden, Secret) Deep/Depths
Depths of the Glacial ___ (Twilight, Expanse, Fathom, Chasm)
Yawn of the ___ (Briny, Pelagic) Deep/Depths

Aaaand I keep going and just start playing with things. I switch them around a lot, try new words with totally different meanings, go here and there and everywhere, and they often don't resemble what they started as. But! Hopefully this ramble helps at least one person name their lovely new offspring.

...if I had to pick, I think the name I'm still "proudest" of is Stillness of the Mazarine Sun. xD It incorporates an unusual word without making it feel clunky or wordy just for the sake of wordy, at least to my ears, and it was pretty perfectly suited to the mare's appearance.
LvSoulFriend
Song Wrangler
Song Wrangler
Favorite Sam species: Mystic

Re: Naming Fun!

Post by LvSoulFriend »

*tugs Jenn's sleeve* Name help?

I've got these two:

ImageImage

Was going to name the Earth Mystic, Mystic of the Earthen Dance, when I originally thought that he was a she, but it doesn't seem to masculine now, haha XD And I'm a bit stumped on the Water Mystic. Something to do with the heavens, maybe? She seems pretty intent on gazing up there!

I'd like the Water Mystic's name at least to have something to do with her parents, Mist of the Rising Sea and Mystic of the Blurred Reflection. Somehow, I'd like both twins names to somehow link into the song's name, Song of the Divine Fate.

Thanks!
Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey
Favorite Sam species: Kodyla

Post by Jennalyn »

If you want your young master's name to reflect more strongly on his Song, you could go with something like Mystic of the Hallowed Earth or Earthen Faith. Try looking up synonyms for spirit and the like - that might lead you down a path to the 'perfect word'? Or you could look up a few synonyms with dance, though his pose doesn't seem to suggest as much movement.

As for your little lady... Ascent might be a good word to hint at the heavens and also be a play on "Rising" from the parent. Mystic of the Shining Ascent (playing off Reflection), something like that.

Those are just some of my first thoughts. xD Best thing ever, this site:

http://thesaurus.com/browse/reflected?s=t

I'm happy to keep throwing things out there until we both stumble across an interesting possibility!
LvSoulFriend
Song Wrangler
Song Wrangler

Post by LvSoulFriend »

Oooo, I do like Hallowed Earth for him!

I originally though of Rising Tides for the water mystic, but I'm not liking that now. Thought of Raining Heavens, but that doesn't quite seem to fit either >>
Seren
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: ...THEM ALL <3 I'm horrible at choosing~

Post by Seren »

I already know my girl's name... Sirocco... XD courtesy of Jenn's name-idea blurb in a message!
Signature under construction!
SilverDapples
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Deserts and Sa'Grisayrs!

Post by SilverDapples »

Depths! (thanks to .... 2 AM randomness!) *flees*
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
LvSoulFriend
Song Wrangler
Song Wrangler

Post by LvSoulFriend »

*peeks at Jenn again* Name help again?

Parents are Mystic of the Flame's Embrace, and Whisper of the Earthbound Parakeet. Can't quite figure out a name for her, or her little boyo there.

Words that I think might fit her are glint, kindle, shine, hum, secret, hint, gossip, curious, dart, arrow, as well as parts of her parents' names.

I keep wanting to call her pet Ember, but that's more of a female name to me, and he's male XD
SilverDapples
Mystery
Mystery

Post by SilverDapples »

I hope you don't mind that I'm popping in here... but I like creating names XD

Embrace of the Cryptic Earth (or Nature, which could also be Embracement of Cryptic Nature)
Gossip of the Crackling Flames
Kindle of the Forest Floor
Glint of the Parakeet's Flame
Curiosity of the Prismatic Display
Hum of the Whispered Embrace
Binding of the Unyeilding Earth
Hint of the Hidden Secret
Shine of the Shrouded Flame
Secret of the Untold Embrace
Dart of the Wingless Bird
Arrow of the Flame-carrying Adventure
Scale of the Gentle Experience (I know this one's crazy XD)

and I know this one's girly but Caramel XD from the color - his eyes remind me of it - or, totally random, Auriferous XD
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
LvSoulFriend
Song Wrangler
Song Wrangler

Post by LvSoulFriend »

Oooo, you did spark some ideas!

*eyes girl* How does Dart of the Curious Flame sound? I can just see her sticking her nose into everything.

And then I could name her puppy Gossip XD
SilverDapples
Mystery
Mystery

Post by SilverDapples »

I think it sounds nice! XD She does look like the curious type! And Gossip... that's actually really cute for him XD
LvSoulFriend
Song Wrangler
Song Wrangler

Post by LvSoulFriend »

Might end up being Quirk too >>