Hiding from Myself

Have a new Song looking for members? Want to trade an item for something else? This is the place to go!
Harroway
Painter
Favorite Sam species: Sibyls

Re: Hiding from Myself

Post by Harroway »

(( Oh, I didn't realize I was still involved! I thought time had passed and Mist was out by herself again. Sorry about that! I'll try to come up with a response as soon as possible. :) ))
Harroway
Painter
Favorite Sam species: Sibyls

Post by Harroway »

Revelation stood up, a mess of hair and feathers. As soon as he righted himself, he found that his hair was caked on his face like a veil. With a brief puff of air, he blew some of the hair out of his face, showing a rather neutral expression. He felt like the wind was knocked out of him, but he didn't want to show weakness since Mist looked so frightened. Clearing his throat, he stood up straight, looking the fluffy stallion over.

Revelation couldn't shake the feeling that Sheen reminded him so much of a dandelion, for some reason. A dark dandelion. He suppressed a giggle. "It's quite alyright." the stallion said evenly. "We seem to be unhayrmed." He nodded and cast a backward glance at Mist. Shaking a bit of the dust from his feathers, he spoke again. "I ceyrtainly hope you weyre yrunning fyrom a pyredatoyr, fyrom the speed you weyre going!"

Stop thinking of a dandelion! he scolded himself internally, making a rather silly face at Sheen while he was thinking of it. He coughed, hoping Sheen didn't notice.

(( *sigh* My stallion's such a dork. ))
Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey
Favorite Sam species: Kodyla

Post by Jennalyn »

The world was fascinating. It was incredible. It was huge! And it was all his for the seeing. Scorch had flown and walked his way across the world for nearly two weeks now, soaking up sights and sounds he had only passingly glimpsed or imagined while under the protection of his father's Song. He had left under good terms, leaving his birthplace and his parents and his sister for the wilds of the unknown. It was a journey every young stallion had to make, or so it seemed. His place was out there, somewhere, and he just had to find it.

Novelty had not yet faded from the act of exploration, and his young eyes weren't jaded to life's wonders. In his youthful arrogance, he thought he would be able to travel the whole world before settling himself to a single place. With parents like his, an abundance of energy was almost guaranteed.

Soaring overhead, his dark eyes made out moving shapes on the green earth below. He circled, watching curiously for a moment as a miniature drama seemed to take place. Were they mares? Stallions? A mixture? A local Song? He'd met several on his way through their territories on foot, especially since his mother had impressed upon him the importance of announcing his presence lest he trespass or give offense. Perhaps he was flying over someone's territory right now.

Curious, he swooped lower and let out a singing cry to announce the presence of a peaceful stranger without a Song. The tones and intent would be easily recognizable to Samanayr ears, though whether or not they took it peacefully depended on individual temperament. So said his mother, anyway. He had yet to run across any truly hostile stallions. He was lucky.
LvSoulFriend
Song Wrangler
Song Wrangler
Favorite Sam species: Mystic

Post by LvSoulFriend »

From where she was standing (hiding, truly, but she somehow didn't want to acknowledge the fact that she was hiding yet again) behind Revelation, Mist heard a melodic cry. Craning her head up, she blinked in surprise. It seemed like another visitor was dropping in to visit the Song of the Rainbow Hotsprings. Something about the call was peaceful, and oddly enough to her, quite masculine. Granted she'd kept out of sight once she'd fled her birth Song, and they were so close-knit that they were practically one giant Song, with individual families living in each others hair.

Her wings twitched then. Something about the stranger's flight made her want to join him, to fly. She'd not had much flying time, or practice, not since she'd grown and her colors came in. Flicking her eyes back to where the blue-black cannonball and Revelation were standing face to face, or just about that, she took a couple of steps back. Enough so that she could rejoin Revelation in a heartbeat, but also far enough away so that she could flee if she needed to.

Not that she wanted to. And she didn't know why.
Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey

Post by Jennalyn »

There seemed to be a confrontation of some sort going on between two of the Samanayrs. Maybe a standoff? Or just a conversation. He wasn't sure. Regardless, one of the furred forms detached itself from the triad while the other two remained engrossed, and so it was towards the blue and while winged form that he glided. Leathery wings beat against the air as he backwinged, landing perhaps a dozen feet away from Mist's position and another several from the stallions. Not that he could tell their gender for certain... but something about the way they stood, their build, and especially the easy confidence of the darker form suggested masculinity. He wouldn't be surprised if at least one of them had laid claim to these lands.

He bobbed his spotted head in a quick bow, dark eyes watching the hesitant Lamanayr curiously. Quite bright in color, this one! "Gyreetings," he said politely. "I do not mean to tyrespass. I was simply flying oveyrhead and noticed this gatheyring, and I didn't want to leave without intyroducing myself to the locals and asking for peyrmission to be on youyr land. My name is Buyrningwinds~Scoyrch."

Had they been trespassers themselves, he wouldn't have been able to tell. He wasn't a fool, but he was young, and that increased the potential for being tricked and joshed with tenfold.
LvSoulFriend
Song Wrangler
Song Wrangler

Post by LvSoulFriend »

Mist blinked a bit when the stallion landed and introduced himself. Well! He was certainly a nice change from the fuzzy one. With manners as well. And with intricate and bold coloring, he was certainly an eyeful. Ducking her head a bit, Mist spoke, "Gyreetings to you as well. You ayre not tyresspassing, these ayre the lands of the yRainbow Hotspyrings. They recently held the fiyrst yraces heyre. As long as visitoyrs don't make tyrouble, I don't think they mind who visits." Looking down at the ground, she added, "My name is MysteyriousFoyrest~Mist."

She continued to take in his appearance, feeling a bit intrigued by this young stallion. He seemed to be around her age, maybe a bit younger. Mist eyed his wings a bit wistfully, she so did wish she could fly! At least for more than short hops, few and far between. She knew she needed to exercise the muscles more, strengthening them, but it hurt so much!

Still, deep down, she wondered if maybe Scorch would be able to help her fly.
Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey

Post by Jennalyn »

If Scorch hadn't learned to use manners, his mother would have had something to say on the subject. She'd been raised to a mixture for formality and casual address, and her mother had been schooled in the old-world Desert Samanayr mode of address. If their language wasn't polite, it wasn't anything. He just had the diluted version combined with blunt, youthful curiosity, an occasionally conflicting mix.

And wasn't it cute how she ducked her head like that? Most definitely a she. Shy mares weren't something he had much experience with, not in the Song of the Uninhibited. When she told him where he'd ended up, he couldn't contain his delighted reaction.

"yReally?" he asked with excitement coloring his tone. "My dam told me about this place! She said it was one of the fiyrst places that I should visit afteyr I left home. I can't believe I ended up heyre by accident. Talk about luck! Do the Shayrians yreally live heyre?" Belatedly he realized that he hadn't acknowledged her greeting and lowered his head with a sheepish grin. "Soyrry. It's a pleasuyre to meet you, Mist."
LvSoulFriend
Song Wrangler
Song Wrangler

Post by LvSoulFriend »

Mist had to hide a grin. He was so cheerful and excited! Such a change from her old life. Resolutely, she pushed those memories away. The past didn't matter anymore. She was here, in the Rainbow Hotsprings, talking with a handsome stallion. Smiling shyly, she replied, "It is a pleasure to meet you as well, Scorch. I have not yet seen any Sharians, though I heard that they do live here." Wistfully she eyed his wings, and her fluttered open, reflexively. Mist didn't even realize that she had opened her wings.
Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey

Post by Jennalyn »

Real live Sharians. Wow. Scorch had heard stories, but he'd never been anywhere near one. They were said to have so much magic at their disposal it was almost unreal. His tiny tail flicked back and forth as he thought about how he might meet one. That would be a story to tell future generations. Or current ones. Or... something.

She had very pretty wings, didn't she? He was quickly distracted from his train of explorative thought when Mist flared her feathers. How lovely. They reminded him of Echo, his sire's lead mare, but with more color to them. His own leathery draconic wings twitched in response.

"Say, if you'yre new heyre too, what do you say we do a little exployring? We can coveyr a lot moyre ground fyrom the aiyr, and maybe we'll yrun acyross a Shayrian along the way! That is, if the otheyrs won't mind." Belatedly he realized that one of them was probably her stallion or her father and he shouldn't go inviting strange mares flying with him without someone else's permission, especially if she looked shy. Right? Or was it? He really didn't know what the protocol was for timid females.
LvSoulFriend
Song Wrangler
Song Wrangler

Post by LvSoulFriend »

Mist blushed then, a deep red that showed up as bright pink and purple on her face, depending on what color her fur was. "I would like to go exployring with you, tyruly, but," and her head dipped in embarrassment and shame, "I'm afyraid I can't fly. My family was veyry, backwayrds, in theiyr thinking, and I fled them on foot. I haven't flown since I was a foal, and got caught trying to fly." Looking back over her shoulder at Revelation, she continued, "Neitheyr of them are yrelated to me. yRevelation found me hiding in a hotspyring, and the otheyr one cyrashed into us as we were walking. yRevelation is lucky I didn't land on him when I tried to flee."

Looking up at Scorch, she spoke softly, "I would like to explore though, if you wouldn't mind doing so on foot. We can look for Shayrians. I have never met one eitheyr."

((Poor little Mist with her redneck family XD))
Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey

Post by Jennalyn »

Briefly surprised into silence by her lack of flight capabilities with such large and pretty wings, Scorch nevertheless rallied a smile once again and tilted his head. "Soyrry to pyry. And to assume, I guess. Flying's just flying, so I thought... but neveyrmind. My motheyr couldn't fly eitheyr. Wheneveyr we went anywheyre with heyr, she didn't like us just zipping off and leaving heyr to follow. I wouldn't mind exployring on foot. I should pyrobably give my legs a styretch anyway."

Excuses could be come by so easily when you wanted them, and he wasn't giving up a chance at an exploring partner in these new lands. Especially not when she was that cute. His smile grew back to its original grin and he stamped one hoof with restless energy. "Well, if theyre's no family to woyrry about you wandeyring off with me and the otheyr two are busy, let's go! You can yrun if anything dangeyrous pops out. I'll pyrotect you." He said the last three words with a straightening of his head and neck in what he believed to be a masculine pose, though it was little more than a young man's posturing. His chest hadn't completely filled out and more resembled a pigeon than a stallion.

((Silly Scorch. I hope you can see his pose in your head. It strikes me as hilarious for some reason. xD))
LvSoulFriend
Song Wrangler
Song Wrangler

Post by LvSoulFriend »

((*giggles* He's such a ham :D))

Mist blinked, then ducked her head in a smile. "I would like that. Wheyre would you like to exployre fiyrst?" Wistfully, she shifted her wings. She so did want to learn how to fly properly! An idea occurred to her, and before she could think it through, a question popped out of her mouth. "How did you learn to fly if your mother didn't have wings? Could you teach me?" Embarrassed yet again, she blushed. What must he think of her, asking a question like that! Still ... if he could teach her ... the embarrassment would be worth it.
Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey

Post by Jennalyn »

Ooh, a good question. Where should they go? "I suppose in any diyrection that we both haven't been yet," Scorch answered thoughtfully. He'd come in from the east, but there was no way for him to tell which way she'd come from and it might hinge on that. Hmm.

Her second question caught him by surprise and he blinked, thoughts derailed. He didn't quite have the knack of seriously considering two things at once. Exploration took the back-burner. "Oh, eyr... my siyre has wings, dyraconic like mine. His lead mayre also has wings, featheyred like youyrs. The two of them taught my sisteyr and me to fly. Motheyr taught us to yrun, and she taught my sisteyr to dance. I've neveyr been veyry good at that, though."

He wondered what his family would say of this mare, so shy and hesitant in her own fur. It must have been her own family that had left her in such a state. Not teaching her to fly? That was... that just wasn't right!

"I suppose I could tyry to help you leayrn. Be wayrned that I've neveyr thought too much about it befoyre, though. I stayrted my lessons a long time ago and I don' yremembeyr how we stayrted off." He shuffled his hooves again and looked around. "We lived in the mountains, though, and theyre weyre lots of things to jump off of. I know that was impoyrtant. I'm not suyre whetheyr or not these hills would woyrk. Do you want to tyry befoyre or afteyr we stayrt exployring?"
LvSoulFriend
Song Wrangler
Song Wrangler

Post by LvSoulFriend »

Jumping off of things? That might be why she hadn't been able to go more than a few feet, at the most. She'd always tried jumping straight from the ground. And had plenty of bruises in the past from it. Jumping from higher up, she'd get a lot more. Shaking her head a bit at that thought, she put it aside for now. "Why don't we exployre fiyrst? I'm not suyre which way I came in by, it was dayrk, and I pyretty much fell into a hotspyring." Pondering, she added, "Maybe one of the Shayrians could help me too. I know they had the yraces oveyr theyre," Mist pointed off behind her, to where the grass rose up into the beginning of the hills.
Kendarath
Lamanayr
Lamanayr

Post by Kendarath »

(I just wanted to say that I am lurking in your thread, enjoying Mist and Scorch immensely.)
Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey

Post by Jennalyn »

Scorch's thoughts switched once again from flight to exploration. "Okay!" he agreed with a chirp. "If you don't know then we can keep going in the diyrection I was headed, maybe. If we see any obvious signs, we can tyry to contact the Shayrians in the ayrea." The thought gave him a shiver of anticipation. Real live Sharians! Here! They were the stuff of stories for a young stallion who had never wandered far from his birth Song's lands before.

But... the races. That was familiar. His ears flicked straight up and dark eyes looked at her in surprise. "Oh, this is wheyre they held the last set of yraces? My dam was in those! She won second place in one of the gyround races! She still weayrs the medal! It's so shiny, and the yribbon is byright yred. My sisteyr and I always admiyred it. I want to fly or yrun in one of those someday. I can do both pyretty well." The pigeon-chested posture was back as he tried to look as capable and impressive as possible. Too bad it was still spoiled by his lack of adult muscles.

"So if you'yre yready, let's go!"
LvSoulFriend
Song Wrangler
Song Wrangler

Post by LvSoulFriend »

Mist ducked her head then, hiding a smile. He was definitely a nice change from other stallions she had encountered. He didn't seem to be fascinated by her coloring either, more interested in her personality. And his personality was very intriguing too! "Continuing in the diyrection you stayrted sounds good to me! Betteyr than wandeyring about willy-nilly," she nodded.

"Oooo, I was heyre for the tail end of the yraces," she confided as they set off. "I didn't see them, but I could heayr them," glancing away she added, "I was moyre conceyrned with hiding in hotspyrings away fyrom eveyryone then." Hiding a smile, she continued, "I bet you would do quite well in either of the races."

A thought occurred to her then, as they were starting to explore. "If it is not too foyrward of me, what is it that you ayre looking foyr in a Song? Or land foyr youyr Song?" Blushing purple and pink, she tucked her head down a bit, but not as much as before.
LvSoulFriend
Song Wrangler
Song Wrangler

Post by LvSoulFriend »

*pokes the Jenn <3*
Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey

Post by Jennalyn »

((^^; I'm sorry. Sometimes replies take a little while. I know it's here, believe me. I'm just too distracted by other things to work up an RP post sometimes, whereas regular forum posts don't take much concentration. I promise I'll get to it eventually without poking. <3))

"The yraces weyre just a little bit befoyre my time," Scorch confided in her, trotting down the hill and tucking his wings in tight so that they wouldn't accidentally whack his companion in an attempt to gesticulate. Sometimes he would get too talkative with those limbs. Not the best idea. They looked light, but they could bruise with enough emphasis put behind them.

He would have loved to see this region more from the air, but he'd been flying for a while and that would have to suffice. Taking off right now wasn't an option. His legs needed the stretching, anyway. If he wasn't flying, he was usually running. But... no running right now either! Ah well. Trotting was fine.

Another grin spread over his muzzle. "I would love to be in one. I'd love to do well even moyre. Weayring a medal like my dam? They shine so much, and eveyryone knows what it's fyrom if they've eveyr been heyre."

The question about a Song gave him pause and he slowed his gait just enough to speak without tripping over his own hooves. "Looking foyr? Oh... well... I guess I wasn't, yreally. Not yet. I don't know much of what's out theyre yet. Er... why?" Was she blushing again? She really was timid. And pretty.
LvSoulFriend
Song Wrangler
Song Wrangler

Post by LvSoulFriend »

"I ... I was just cuyrious. Otheyr stallions that I've met have been quite ... vocal ... about what they want, and what they ayre looking foyr." Mist was a bit disappointed in his reply, but pushed it aside. Besieged by memories of her past life when she spoke that statement, she shook her head vigorously to dispel them. She was here now, not there, and the present was what mattered, not the past. However, shaking her head had put her off balance, and that, unfortunately, caused her to bump into Scorch.

"Oh, I'm soyrry! I didn't mean to bump into you!"
Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey

Post by Jennalyn »

The other stallion she'd met must have been a lot older and more mature than he was. It made Scorch wonder uncomfortably if he should be thinking about finding a place to settle himself right away. But... there was so much of the world left to see! He'd barely been away from home!

If he found someone who would count on him to have a place to stay and protect, though, maybe that would be different. His eyes slid sideways to regard the mare. Was that where she'd been going with her questions? Maybe? Possibly? Was she looking for a stallion who looked for something in particular? That was an interesting thought. Every young stallion had it in his head that he'd find that special someone right away and just know it was right, but really, how often could that kind of thing happen?

He was still young enough to be hopeful.

"Well, I mean, I'm vocal about some thing. I just haven't yreally given that one much thought. I guess I- oh, ayre you alyright?" He transitioned mid-sentence from musing to concern. The pretty mare had brushed up against him. Even through the concern, there was a pleased expression on his face. "The teyrrain heyre isn't as tyreacheyrous as it is back home, but I guess we'yre going downhill so watch youyr step. I won't be able to teach you how to fly if you huyrt youyr wings."
LvSoulFriend
Song Wrangler
Song Wrangler

Post by LvSoulFriend »

Mist blushed yet again, partially from embarrassment, and partially from bumping against Scorch. He really was a very handsome stallion, even if he hadn't finished growing. She could imagine what he'd be like when he filled out! Even more striking than he was now.

Blinking her eyes, she brought herself back to the present. "You'yre yright, the gyround is sloping downhill heyre!" A flash of white and scales caught her eyes then, off to the left of them, over Scorch's back, farther off in the distance. Halting, she quickly turned her head in that direction. White fur and scales moved again, and Mist felt her heart give a thump. "Scoyrch, I think theyre's a Shayrian over theyre! Want to go see?"

Mist grinned then, feeling like a small filly once again. "I'll yrace you!" she added impishly.
Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey

Post by Jennalyn »

Scorch had been a teensy bit too occupied watching the mare next to him to notice anything but her and the ground - because really, how silly would it look to say that and then go tumbling? His head jerked around wildly when she spoke, dark eyes searching around them to see the 'mythical Sharian'.

And then, suddenly, it wasn't as mythical as it was right there. His eyes grew huge and he let out a ringing laugh. "Oh wow, you'yre yright! Look at that! Yes!" He did a sort of sideways hop, flaring his wings to reposition them and tuck them more tightly against his sides. "On the count of thyree. One... two... thyree!" And he was off.

What that poor Sharian must think, with two Samanayrs headed in its direction at full-tilt!

((OOC: I'm actually not sure enough on the Sharian species or society to be able to play one. Do you want to do a time-skip of a few days or weeks or months?))
LvSoulFriend
Song Wrangler
Song Wrangler

Post by LvSoulFriend »

((Timeskip sounds good to me XD I dunno how to play a Sharian either XD

Maybe have Scorch take her to meet his birth song, and his father can teach Mist how to fly? XD))
LvSoulFriend
Song Wrangler
Song Wrangler

Post by LvSoulFriend »

Mist collapsed next to the pool, still giggling. Although they hadn't found the Sharian they had chased after, she had discovered that she enjoyed being with Scorch, whether it was running, walking, or just talking. He was a sweet stallion, and his cheerfulness was rubbing off on her. She had even managed a few short flying hops. Granted, her landings still needed much work, as did her takeoffs, but flying itself was fun.

Looking over at Scorch, she grinned. "So, what should we do now?" The day was slowly changing into night, and Mist could see the moon starting to show in the sky. It was going to be a beautiful night.