Handmade Christmas gifts

Talk about anything you want here.
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Handmade Christmas gifts

Post by Sushidragon »

We're trying to save money on Christmas gifts this year, so I'd like to make as many things as I can.. but I'm not sure what to do for everyone! I can't make a cross stitch or felt plushie for everyone, can I? XD

If you do handmade Christmas presents, what kind of stuff do you do?
Image Image

Current icon by Plaguedog
Seren
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: ...THEM ALL <3 I'm horrible at choosing~

Re: Handmade Christmas gifts

Post by Seren »

I make cards with a ton of glitter and pop-ups and alot of my artwork. :3
Or I make dinner, or put a bunch of ingredients for a special dessert in a jar and decorate it with artwork, glitter glue, and ribbon!
LvSoulFriend
Song Wrangler
Song Wrangler
Favorite Sam species: Mystic

Post by LvSoulFriend »

The gifts in a jar is good! There's several books out there on them, we own a decent amount XD Soup, cookies, brownies, etc.

Fleece blankets are always good too! 2 yards is a good size, without being overwhelming, if you just do a blanket stitch around the edge, after folding the sides in a bit. I like to fold them in twice, about half an inch both times. Then pin them all down, and stitch away! If you do the tied fleece throws, 2.5 yards is a good size.

If anyone wants more info on any of these, just let me know! I just finished up two for a wedding next month, and am planning a couple more for my sister and her boyfriend :D
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Favorite Sam species: Sa'grisayr

Post by silvermoondragon »

Nothing superfantastic, most of these were just as a for fun on the side with something else kind of present/to make a money gift more interesting than just money/IOUs, but:

- Make your own Adipose kit: I made a plushie Adipose from Doctor Who for my brother and put it in a decorated up box with some candy/chocolates and some instructions on how to "grow" your own adipose(Just eat the candies XD)
- Money tree: my brother made a fake cardboard tree with some money rolled around the trunk
- Chocolate holder: My brother made a clay pot in class one year and gave it to my dad along with some chocolates in it, and gave him refills for a few years after.
- Cardboard Speakers: a cardboard speaker, built like a piggy bank, along with some money to put towards some new speakers.

- Make your own wrapping paper
- Make your own candy
Janalee
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Healer

Post by Janalee »

I've been making beaded snowflake ornaments for people for a while; they're pretty easy to make, and I think fun anyway. XD

A larger snowflake
And a smaller one

I could share the pattern for this one, if you wanted to see it. We've also made beaded bracelets, but those patterns weren't free...and it's kind of a weird present to give to most guys anyway. XP
Ooh, and I agree with LV's suggestions! We had a great time trying to figure out how to make the tie blankets in my family one year. *grins*
Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey
Favorite Sam species: Kodyla

Post by Jennalyn »

You can make "mug rugs" pretty easily, Sushi! I've seen your awesome placemat and these are even smaller and often far less complicated. :) They don't require as much fabric either and you can use scraps pretty often.

Here's a page with a TON of tutorials! There are as many different ways to make them as there are colors in the rainbow, some way easier than others.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/user_page.jsp?upnum=1692
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer
Favorite Sam species: Butterfly Sams

Post by RikkuGirl »

Scrap books! Photo albums are AWESOME to give to people and are quite hand made. :)

<3 Thats just what I find that im doing... but thats just me. ^^;;
My Sams!

Im a Chicken... Moooooo! D:
AsaraDragon
Nemesis
Favorite Sam species: Elementals

Post by AsaraDragon »

I have crocheted a scarf or two for family, that's about it for my craftiness level. I just get a nice yarn and do a repeating pattern of stitches. Nothing fancy, but they've all been appreciated, and I can knock one out in an hour or two if the yarn isn't too fiddly. :)

Desserts in a jar are also nice. A coworker of mine gave me a jar of homemade cocoa mix once that was absolutely wonderful. Two years ago my mother in law gave us all gift baskets of bread and trail mix that she had made herself, and last year my sister in law did the same thing, but with cookies and chocolate-covered pretzels and stuff like that. Nom.
ImageImageImageImage <3 <3
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Post by Sushidragon »

Thanks for the suggestions :D Lots of great ideas! I'm going to give those mug rugs a try for sure, especially since we're finally having a fabric/sewing store open in town this weekend (there's a couple of stores already but they're tiny and geared towards quilting)! I'm also planning on making my sister a fabric coffee sleeve.
Image Image

Current icon by Plaguedog
Zincht
Lamanayr
Lamanayr

Post by Zincht »

I had one aunt who for years sent us a bead/wire icicle for our tree for each member of the family, and a crocheted snowflake (starched flat). I've thought it would be useful to put the year on those with embroidery floss..

I have another aunt who made shortbread cookies every year and sent them in round (used) cookie tins. We'd send them back around easter, and she made an assortment, wrapping them in cling wrap. In high school after we got a dehydrator, we'd save them all year and send them back to her filled with my mom's dried fruit. ;)

I've considered the snowflake route myself, but I found an online (free) pattern for tiny chocobos....
Image Image Image Image Image
Burble | Memories | Flirt | Shoot | Diamond
Personalities!
Britain
Valentine Key
Favorite Sam species: Northern!

Post by Britain »

I learned how to knit about a month ago, y'all. Taught myself on Youtube. FEAR THE SCARF ARMY.

Steele already has hers, that brat.

EDIT: I should note that yarn is expensive. Watch for sales like a hawk. The three I'm making, at 2 skeins of deliciously soft bulky yarn each, come out to $6 a person on sale.